Cyclones in the NFL: Week Seven

Brock Purdy walks off the field after Iowa State’s 48-14 win over TCU on Nov. 26.

Brock Purdy:

Purdy’s struggles continued as he and the 49ers dropped their second straight game in dramatic fashion to the Vikings 22-17.

Purdy played well for a majority of the first half, keeping the 49ers in the game, although his efforts did not result in a lead. By the second half, the momentum the Vikings had was too much and they started to figure out Purdy.

Purdy finished with a good statline if it were not for his interceptions. He threw for 272 yards on 21-for-30 passing while tacking on one touchdown and two interceptions. Those interceptions came at inopportune times as the loss of possessions led to the Vikings coming out on top of the one-possession matchup.

Purdy did rush for 19 yards too with a long rush of 17 yards. Purdy has a chance to right the ship against a tough opponent, as the 49ers host the Bengals on Sunday.

Jake Hummel:

Hummel has seen an uptick in reps on the Rams special teams unit since throughout the season. Although he does not make many flashy plays, he plays a majority of the special teams snaps.

The Rams’ 24-17 loss against the Steelers was the same story. Hummel appeared in 81% of the special teams’ snaps and recorded one assisted tackle. That put his tackles on the season up to four.

Hummel only played on special teams, as the Rams kept their starters in on defense for a majority of the tight game against the Steelers. After playing a season high 12% of the defensive snaps against Arizona, it seemed as though Hummel may have worked his way up to a snap or two against Pittsburgh. 

However, it appears that Hummel will most likely only play on defense if the Rams are on a smooth path to victory. That may not be the chance again in the next matchup, as the Rams take on the Cowboys in what could prove to be a tough game. Still expect to see Hummel out for a good chunk of special teams plays.

Charlie Kolar:

Kolar had one of his most active games of the season in Baltimore’s 38-6 blowout win over Detroit. Kolar played 11 snaps on offense for the Ravens, which was his second most of the season, as he played 13 on week one against the Texans.

Although Kolar did not record any offensive stats, he was more active on special teams. He played 62% of special teams snaps and recorded one assisted tackle. That was his first tackle of the season.

Over the last three games he has played in, Kolar has seen an increase in special teams snaps, playing in 55 total snaps over three weeks. The increase in special teams plays bodes well for his future with the Ravens.

David Montgomery:

Montgomery was absent from Detroit’s 38-6 loss to the Ravens. Montgomery went down with a rib injury in the game against the Buccaneers. 

Montgomery was listed as questionable going into the matchup with Baltimore, but it was decided before the meeting that he needed more time to heal. Montgomery is dealing with a rib cartilage injury, which is not too serious, but will keep him sidelined if he is not fully recovered.

Montgomery’s absence was felt, as the Lions had a long day against the Ravens. Montgomery had scored on the ground in every single game up until he was injured and had nearly 400 rushing yards on the year.

Without Montgomery, rookie running back Jahmyr Gibbs had to take his role as the workhorse back. Although Gibbs did not provide the same type of presence on the ground, rushing for 68 yards, he was able to punch a ball in for a touchdown and caught nine balls for 58 yards.

The Lions have a bye week during week nine, so there is a chance that Montgomery returns after the bye week. As of now, he is still listed as questionable for the time being.