Players to Watch: Baylor

Tyler Coe
Benjamin Brahmer nearly hauls in a one handed catch against Cincinnati at Nippert Stadium in Cincinnati on Oct. 14, 2023.

Iowa State:

Benjamin Brahmer – Tight End

Coming into the season, Brahmer had some competition ahead of him in the tight end room for the Cyclones, and he had to put in the work if he wanted to get some targets.

The true freshman has done that and some, as he has broken out as the leading tight end and has helped contribute to Iowa State’s success this season.

In his six games, Brahmer has caught 14 passes for 167 yards and two touchdowns, and he’s shown to be one of Rocco Becht’s favorite receivers on the field.

Will McLaughlin – Linebacker

McLaughlin has certainly made his impact on the Iowa State defense this season, as he came off of a good performance in the win over the Bearcats. In that game, McLaughlin recorded six total tackles, with five solo tackles and one tackle going for a loss.

The second-year Cyclone has already made a huge breakthrough from his previous season in five fewer games played, as McLaughlin continues to make an impact this season.

Expect to see McLaughlin making plays all over the field Saturday as Iowa State looks to get back-to-back road wins for the first time since 2020.

Chase Contreraz – Kicker

Contreraz has hands down been one of the best acquisitions that Iowa State made over the offseason, as he’s been a key contributor to their success thus far.

The Nebraska transfer will be coming off of his second Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week honors that he earned in the game against Cincinnati, and he will be looking to put up another great performance Saturday versus Baylor.

Contreraz has made all 17 of his extra point attempts and has converted 12 of his 16 field goal attempts while also having a six-yard rush in the win versus Cincinnati.

Expect to hear Contreraz’s name called on not just in the upcoming game versus the Bears, but also throughout the final push for a potential bowl appearance for Iowa State.

Baylor:

Blake Shapen – Quarterback

Shapen has quietly done his part for Baylor this season, as he’s been delivering for the Bears when he has the chance to make a play.

In four games played this season, Shapen has led Baylor to a 2-2 record, completing 89 of his 146 passing attempts for 1,236 yards and five touchdown passes. He has also not thrown an interception this season, as Shapen’s been accurate with his passing so far.

But the main part of Shapen’s success has come from the Baylor offensive line. In four games played, Shapen has been sacked a total of 15 times, six of which came in their loss to Texas Tech.

If Shapen wants to find success versus a fiery Iowa State defense, he will need to get the ball out quickly and make plays happen.

Ketron Jackson Jr. – Wide Reciever

Jackson Jr. is coming off of his breakout game for Baylor in Saturday’s win over Cincinnati, as he caught five passes for 130 yards.

The Baylor offense had seemed to not target Jackson Jr. in the two games prior to Cincinnati, as he had collected two catches for a total of 12 yards.

But Jackson Jr. has shown that he can make big plays for the Bears’ offense whenever he is needed. He has caught 20 passes for 365 yards in seven games played this season for the Bears.

He has not, however, caught a touchdown pass this season, and he will definitely be itching to get one Saturday versus the Cyclones.

Isaiah Hankins – Kicker

Hankins has been a big part of Baylor’s recent resurgence as he was named the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week this past weekend in the Bear’s win over Cincinnati due to not missing any of his opportunities.

Hankins went four-for-four in field goals and two-for-two in extra points, as Baylor cruised to a win over the Bearcats for their third win of the season.

The Baylor kicker has not been perfect on the season as he has missed three of his 18 field goal attempts this season, but all three of those have been over 40 yards. He has connected on two field goals for over 50 yards and has hit all 11 of his extra points.