StuGov Senate receives Big 12 Conference report

Brielle Tuttle
Members of the Student Government during the meeting at the Memorial Union on Oct. 11, 2023.

Student Government President Jennifer Holliday, a senior in agricultural studies, shared takeaways from the Big 12 Student Government Conference with the Senate Wednesday evening.

The conference took place at Texas Christian University over the weekend, and Holliday said events included tours of the campus, lectures and group discussions. Every student government president at the conference gave a presentation sharing some of their initiatives.

“It was a really great time down in Texas, we met a lot of amazing people [and] made some great connections,” Holliday said.

Sophia Sarver, Student Government adviser, announced her resignation to the Senate.

“I wanted to say that this is my last Senate meeting as I have put in my resignation […] Friday,” Sarver said. “I just wanted to wish everybody luck for the year.”

The Women’s Ultimate Frisbee Club entered a debt contract with the Senate for $2,555.22 to keep the club running after the club incurred debt. Portions of this amount will be paid each semester

Finance Director Martin Hursh, a sophomore in economics, said of the club’s efforts to resolve the debt, “They’ve been really proactive, they want this contract really bad, they’ve gone through great efforts for fundraising.”

The club overspent on line items that were allocated to be spent, Trey Wellman, a UROC senator and junior in agricultural and rural policy, said during his opening comments on the bill that eventually passed 22-0-0.

The club will pay back the debt over four semesters, with a payment close to $639 in each semester from the spring of 2024 to the fall of 2025

Also at the Senate meeting Wednesday, the Senate was encouraged to share and attend an international movie hosted by the International Student Council.

The council informed the Senate that they will be showing ”Argentina, 1985″ in an effort to bring more international movies to Cyclone Cinema. Members of the Senate expressed support for the movie. The free showing will occur Monday at 7 p.m. in Carver Hall and is available for all students and faculty.

The Senate confirmed Makayla Prather, a sophomore in kinesiology and health, as a Senator representing the College of Human Sciences.

Prather said she would want her legacy from her time in Student Government, which ties into the committee she said she wants to join, health and wellness, to be “the mental health advocate, I don’t really see a lot of things on campus that are more mental health related, I see a lot of physical health.”

The Senate also confirmed two at-larges to the Student Initiatives Committee, Kennedy Nelson, a sophomore in agricultural business, and Quinn Weidenaar, a sophomore in computer science.