Players to Watch: BYU

Joseph Dicklin
Caleb Bacon of Iowa State attempting to tackle Daniel Hishaw Jr. of the Kansas Jayhawks during the Iowa State vs. Kansas football game on Nov. 4, 2023 in Jack Trice Stadium.

Iowa State:
Caleb Bacon – Linebacker
Bacon is a player that has been gaining hype as the season rolls on. It seems that every game, he is making highlight plays.

Although Bacon has not gotten any sacks since his two to open the season, he has been solid in the role he plays. He consistently helps shut down the run when it matters most, which is a big factor in Iowa State’s success on run defense.

Bacon almost came up with what could have been a game-changing play against Kansas, where he ripped the ball out of a running back’s hands and returned it for a touchdown. However, the play was called dead before he gained possession.

Bacon’s relentlessness and knack for being in the right place at the right time should serve him well against a BYU offense that sits at the bottom of the Big 12.

Jontez Williams – Defensive back
Williams got his first taste on the starting lineup against Kansas. Although he had some less than ideal moments, he was solid overall.

Williams has silently put together a good showing this season with the limited game time he has seen. Although he has not had a pass defended since the Iowa game, he helps a good amount in the run game and keeps the ball away from opposing receivers.

With Jeremiah Cooper still dealing with a lingering injury and possibly missing another game, and with Iowa State head coach Matt Campbell favoring Williams over Myles Purchase in the previous matchup, there is a good chance Williams continues to see increased time on the field. Whether that ends up being a good thing or a bad thing, he will still be someone to keep an eye on against BYU.

Carson Hansen – Running back
One massively underrated player throughout the season has been Hansen. The true freshman found himself in the No. 4 running back spot to start the season behind Cartevious Norton, Eli Sanders and Abu Sama.

However, as the season rolls on, Hansen continues to have an increased role on Iowa State’s offense. Although he does not get as many touches as Norton or Sanders, he makes the most of the limited field time he sees.

Nearly every time Hansen touches the ball, he makes a solid play for decent yardage. He also proved his capabilities in the passing game against Kansas by hauling in a 13-yard catch. Overall, Hansen provides a spark to the offense at times that will come in handy as the Cyclones look to qualify for a bowl game.

BYU:
LJ Martin – Running back
Although BYU sits at the bottom of the Big 12 in offense, especially in rushing, Martin will still be a player to watch. Martin has found success on the ground throughout the season and sits at 438 yards and four touchdowns while averaging nearly five yards per carry.

BYU may average less than 80 rushing yards a game, but that is mainly because Martin gets nearly all 80 of those yards. Martin has three games of over 75 rushing yards and two with over 90. Most of his success comes at home too, with just one game under 60 yards in front of a home crowd.

Martin is an explosive runner and has the ability to break off big runs when need be, which could be likely against an Iowa State defense that has let up big plays consistently in recent weeks.

Martin is also coming off an injury and should be good to go against Iowa State after three straight weeks of ground dominance. Martin’s most recent game against Texas Tech saw him amass 93 rushing yards on just 10 carries. If he comes back healthy, he could be a tough player to deal with.

Eddie Heckard – Defensive back
Iowa State’s offense will be looking for a bounce-back game following the rough loss to Kansas. Heckard will be looking to stop that bounce-back game from happening.

Heckard is possibly the most complete defensive player on BYU, as he does more than a typical corner would. He is a menace in the air, wraps up players all over the field and can pass rush like a linebacker. Along with all that, he is a magnet for big plays.

Although Heckard does not lead BYU in interceptions, he leads in passes defended with five. He also has three picks, with one being returned for 38 yards. Along with his passing game success, he has one sack on the season and a forced fumble.

In the last five games, Heckard has four passes defended in four separate games, a fumble recovery for a touchdown in the same game as his 38-yard pick and averages around five tackles per game. At the rate he is heating up, Heckard could be a problem for Iowa State.

Jakob Robinson – Defensive back
The other corner that could cause issues for Iowa State’s passing game is Robinson. He leads the Cougars in interceptions with four and has a pick-six as well.

The Cyclones find most of their success in the air, which is why the BYU defensive backs will be a group to keep an eye on. Robinson is even scarier when considering the fact that Rocco Becht already has three pick-sixes on year.

If anyone is going to give Becht his fourth of the season, it will most likely be Robinson, who possesses similar ballhawk capabilities to Jeremiah Cooper.