Iowa State looks forward to what Audi Crooks has in store for the team

Josue Aleman
Audi Crooks attempts a free throw at the Iowa State vs. Drake game, Knapp Center in Des Moines, Iowa, Nov. 12, 2023.

AMES — Following a loss to the in-state rival Drake, the Cyclones will be looking forward to getting back on the right track led by center Audi Crooks.

The freshman led the team in scoring in the loss to Drake, as she finished her game with 23 points and three rebounds, as she got a lot of opportunities in the post against the Bulldogs.

Crooks believes her performance against Drake is not the last the team will see of a performance like this, as she plans on using it as motivation for the future.

“It just serves as motivation,” Crooks said. “I had one good night but I want to make that a consistent thing. Just continuing to strive for performances like that helps solidify that the work we have been doing is paying off.”

Crooks has been one of the Cyclones’ key bench players in their first two games, as she serves as one of the backbones of the team that could help to propel them forward later on this season.

Head coach Bill Fennelly gave his praise to Crooks for the way she has been accepting the challenges in front of her and does not complain when something she doesn’t like comes across her way.

“Audi’s done a great job,” Fennelly said. “She was great on Sunday, and the one thing about her is she understands what she needs to do. She doesn’t fight it, she accepts coaching and she’s willing to do the things we ask her to do.”

Forward Nyamer Diew is in her third season with Iowa State, and seeing a player like Crooks who has been a huge boost for not only the team but as a person, has been big to the team’s morale.

“She’s had a huge impact,” Diew said. “She wants to learn, she wants to be coached as well as being a great person off the court who brings a ton of energy and excitement.”

With Crooks’ presence in the paint and on this team, Iowa State may look like an entirely different team as the future seems to only be getting brighter for the freshman.

Crooks and the Cyclones will look to rebound from their loss as they host Southern, at 6:30 p.m. Monday at Hilton Coliseum. The game will be streamed on ESPN+.