Good Cop/Bad Cop: Kansas State

Tyler Coe
Beau Freyler and Rocco Becht walk off the field Texas defeats Iowa State 26-16 at Jack Trice Stadium on Nov. 18, 2023.

Good Cop: Brett Twelmeyer

Following a loss to Texas on senior night, Iowa State will finish the regular season against Kansas State on the road.

The run game was nearly non-existent against the Longhorns. A total of nine rushing yards easily marked the lowest total for the Cyclones on the year.

I do not think that will happen again. Kansas State gives up over 100 yards to opponents this season and the run game for Iowa State has been strong in recent weeks.

Keeping the rushing attack strong is going to be a key factor for the Cyclones. They should find success again this week.

Rocco Becht has also shown a lot of promise in his first year as Iowa State’s starting quarterback. He already passed Brock Purdy for total touchdown passes by an Iowa State freshman quarterback with 17 and can add to that total on Saturday.

Becht threw for over 300 yards and completed 75% of his passes against a stingy Texas defense. If he can keep that momentum going, Iowa State should be able to contend with Kansas State.

Defensively, Iowa State will have to slow down a high-powered Kansas State offense. The Wildcats average 38 points per game but the Iowa State defense has held its opponents to 20 points per game.

Forcing turnovers has helped Iowa State win games this year, which may be the difference against Kansas State. All six of the Cyclones’ wins have come with two or more forced turnovers.

In a rivalry game where the Wildcats can make the Big 12 Championship with a win and some help, Iowa State will have more to play for with a chance to eliminate them and finish the season on a high note.

I am confident that the Cyclones will storm into Manhattan, Kansas, and exit victorious in another chapter of the Farmageddon rivalry.

Score Prediction: Iowa State 27, Kansas State 21

Bad Cop: Cayden Storm

After a home loss to a very strong opponent in No. 7 Texas, Iowa State heads to Manhattan, Kansas, for another top-25 matchup against No. 19 Kansas State.

The most glaring problem the Cyclones had against Texas was that they were getting dominated along both lines of scrimmage.

Texas’ defense suffocated the Cyclone run game, allowing just nine rushing yards on 21 attempts for .4 yards per carry. On the other hand, Texas running back CJ Baxter tallied 117 yards on 20 attempts, good for 5.9 yards per carry.

Though Kansas State does not necessarily have the same caliber of athletes that Texas has, it has one of the best offensive lines in the country, anchored by projected early-round draft pick Cooper Beebe.

Kansas State has used its elite offensive line to rush for an average of 198.8 yards per game, good for eighth in the nation among teams in the power five.

The Wildcats are also well-equipped at stopping the run, holding opponents to just 129.5 yards per game, which ranks in the top 40 in the country.

It is safe to say that if Iowa State wants a chance at the victory on Saturday night, Improvements along the line of scrimmage or necessary.

In the passing game, Becht has continued to improve each week, and I thought played a solid game against a tough Longhorn defense, going 24-32 for 323 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

I believe Becht will have to have one of the best performances of his young career if the Cyclones want to escape Manhattan with a win, as I am not confident in the Cyclone rushing attack making the necessary improvements.

I do think Becht could possibly have that chance if the offensive line holds up, with Kansas State’s passing defense ranking in the bottom half of the country.

Ultimately though, I do not think Becht will be able to carry the Cyclones to a victory through the air.

With the game being at night, as well as senior night, I think Kansas State will come out strong and send the Cyclones home with a loss to end the regular season.

Score Prediction: Kansas State 28, Iowa State 20

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500