Gridiron Staff Picks: Iowa State vs. Kansas State

Tyler Coe
Easton Dean celebrates after he scores on a 4th & 1 attempt for 66 yards against Texas at Jack Trice Stadium on Nov. 18, 2023.

Christian Royston, Sports Editor (6-5)
Kansas State 32, Iowa State 24

Although I want to say the Cyclones will end on a high note, I think Kansas State is too good of a team to take down, especially on the road. The loss to Texas, and even the loss to Kansas, showed me something. This Iowa State team is good, but not good enough to match up with elite competition.

Kansas State is elite, there is no getting around that. There is a reason the Wildcats are ranked in the top 20. The three losses Kansas State has on the season is a loss on the road to Missouri – a top-10 team in the nation – an overtime loss to Texas – also on the road – and a loss on the road to Oklahoma State, further proving my theory that no one wins in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Along with that, Kansas State is coming off a tight win on the road to Kansas, a team that took down Iowa State at home. The Wildcats have been making quick work of weaker competition, especially at home where they are undefeated this season. Even though you can argue that Iowa State is going to be the best competition Kansas State has faced at home, the Wildcats are just a better team on paper. But there is nothing wrong with that.

Although I do not think it will be a similar bloodbath to the Oklahoma road game, I still have Iowa State losing. It might be a good thing for the young team though, as the Cyclones should have an easier matchup in the bowl game, which could result in an end-of-season win.

Logan Shanks, Assistant Sports Editor (8-3)
Kansas State 24, Iowa State 16

From what I saw against Texas, in terms of beating a top-25 team, the Cyclones are not there yet. What makes this even more in Kansas State’s favor in my opinion is this game is at home, where it has not lost since Nov. 12 of last year against the Longhorns, and even then the Wildcats are still 10-2 in the last two seasons at Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium.

Now the Wildcat offense is not as high flying and talented as a Texas or an Oklahoma, they still are one of the best in the Big 12 and I do not see the Cyclones stopping them for four quarters.

I think just like in Iowa State’s other top-25 losses, you will see some optimistic drives, mainly due to the emerging play of quarterback Rocco Becht, but ultimately inconsistent play from the offense as a whole.

Now if the defense can keep the game close like it did against Texas in the first half, maybe Iowa State can put something together on the road, but I do not see that happening.

From a realistic perspective, all Iowa State has to gain from a win in Manhattan, Kansas, is a spot in a better bowl game which would likely result in another loss for this young team. I said it on the Sports Weekly podcast and I will say it again, I am sure Iowa State would much rather see themselves get its seventh win of the season in a bowl game than in what is ultimately a meaningless game against the Wildcats.

Pavle Markovic, Sports Reporter (10-1)
Kansas State 38, Iowa State 20

With all the hopes of making the Big 12 Championship game out the window following the Cyclones’ loss to No. 7 Texas at home, Iowa State will be looking to finish off the season strong in Manhattan, Kansas, as Iowa State will take on No. 21 Kansas State in the annual Farmageddon clash.

I personally think the biggest key for the Cyclones to find success versus the Wildcats, is the consistency that quarterback Rocco Becht will have in this game. Versus back-to-back ranked opponents at home this season against Kansas and Texas, Becht had a costly interception in each game that ended up sealing their fate in the end.

Keeping Wildcat running back DJ Giddens will be another key to Iowa State’s success on Saturday, as Giddens has been tearing up opposing defenses all season long. Giddens has averaged 5.9 yards per carry while riding back-to-back games of over 100 yards rushing has been key to the Wildcats’ success.

While I do have Iowa State losing their final game of the season to No. 21 Kansas State, the Cyclones should still be proud of the season they have had, along with the bowl appearance they will be making later this year.