Iowa State to brush off rough road trip, head north to take on St. Thomas

Tyler Coe
Arianna Jackson brings the ball up the floor against Truman State in an exhibition game at Hilton Coliseum on Nov. 1, 2023.

Iowa State will be looking to get back on the right track after dropping both of its games in the South Point Shootout in Las Vegas.

The Cyclones took on Vanderbilt Friday and Syracuse on Saturday, as the team struggled to jump out in front of their opponents. Double-digit turnovers plagued them in both games.

The Cyclones look to rebound from their performance this past weekend as they travel up north Wednesday night to St. Paul, Minnesota, to take on St. Thomas.

Guard Arianna Jackson has struggled to find her stride early in the season, as she is focused on getting the team back into their old winning ways following their recent disappointing performance.

“We’re doing the things we practiced. As long as we focus on the right things and the little things, we’re really good,” Jackson said.

Forward Addy Brown has been averaging 11 points in Iowa State’s last three games, as she looks forward to helping the team get back in the win column, which starts with bringing high energy to every game.

“Sometimes our energy gets kind of low, but the key is for us to keep the energy up, which is something that we plan to focus on in practice this week,” Brown said.

While Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly acknowledges that turnovers for the team have been an issue, he is mainly focusing on finding ways to get his team to the free throw line more to put up more points that could end up giving them the lead later in games.

“Yeah, we’re turning the ball over a little bit, but that’s not the biggest thing for me. I think it is more of the extended periods where we can’t score that involves getting us to the free throw line,” Fennelly said.

St. Thomas has committed a team total of 103 fouls. Six of its players hold double-digit fouls, so Iowa State should look to force the Tommies to foul often.

The Tommies are also currently riding a two-game losing streak, in which they fell in both games played in the Tiger Turkey Tip-Off, where they lost to UC Irvine and Butler.

St. Thomas currently has three players averaging double-digit points per game, led by guard Amber Scalia, who has averaged a team-high 18 points per game.

Iowa State will take on St. Thomas at 7 p.m. Wednesday in St. Paul, Minnesota, and both teams will look to end their current losing streaks and start a potential winning streak. The game will be streamed on the Summit League Network, which requires a paid subscription.