Iowa State football transfer portal updates

Tyler Coe
Eli Sanders dances during warmups prior to the Oklahoma game at Gaylord Memorial Stadium on Sept. 30, 2023.

Editor’s Note: This list of players entering the transfer portal will be updated as more announcements and information is presented.

Dec. 7

Kaden Sutton — Defensive lineman

Sutton became the first defensive lineman to enter the transfer portal for the Cyclones. Sutton did not see much field time as he sat behind a stacked Iowa State defensive line group. He recorded one tackle against Kansas in the 2021 season.

Sutton will have two years of eligibility left.

Dec. 4

Quaron Adams – Wide receiver

Adams entered the transfer portal after seeing no action in two years with the Cyclones. The redshirt freshman had a plethora of offers from Power Five schools as he was a top-10 player from Arizona in the 2022 class.

Adams will have three years of eligibility left.

Myles Norwood – Defensive back

Norwood was the newest member of the team to announce his transfer once the portal opened. Norwood was not active in a game in the 2023 season.

Norwood redshirted his freshman season after playing in one game. Norwood will have three years of eligibility left.

Terrell Crosby Jr. – Defensive back

Crosby, a true freshman, announced his entrance into the transfer portal early on the opening day of transfer season. Crosby played an impactful role in multiple games throughout the 2023 season.

Crosby played in four games, recording five total tackles and a pass breakup in the matchup against BYU. Crosby will have three years of eligibility remaining and still has his redshirt.

Joseph Jean-Louis – Linebacker

After a quiet freshman season, Jean-Louis has put his name into the transfer portal. Jean-Louis saw action in one game for Iowa State, recording a tackle against Iowa.

Jean-Louis will have three years left of eligibility and still has a redshirt season.

Jefferson Adam – Defensive end

Adam was the first Iowa State defensive end to enter the transfer portal. After committing to Iowa State as the No. 7 defensive end commit at the junior college level, Adam did not see any playing time in his first season at Iowa State.

Adam will have 1-2 years of eligibility left.

Dec. 2

Carston Marshall – Linebacker

Marshall declared his intent to transfer Saturday. The sophomore linebacker recorded stats in two games in the 2023 season. 

Marshall picked up two tackles against UNI and against Ohio. Marshall did not take a snap during conference play.

Marshall will transfer with 2-3 years of eligibility left.

Nov. 27

Greg Gaines III – Wide receiver

The redshirt freshman announced his plans to transfer late Monday afternoon following a slew of other transfer announcements.

Gaines saw action in five games, only recording two catches in the 2023 season against Oklahoma. Gaines redshirted his freshman year after playing in four games as a receiver and on special teams.

Gaines has three years of eligibility left.

Eli Sanders – Running back

Sanders announced that he would enter the transfer portal shortly following his fellow teammate Norton. Sanders earned the starting spot at running back midway through the season after he came back from injury.

In Sanders’ time as the starter, he rushed for 477 yards and four touchdowns on 4.7 yards per carry. Sanders also caught a handful of balls during the season, hauling in a touchdown in the air against Texas. 

Sanders, along with Norton, did not make the trip to Iowa State’s last regular season game against Kansas State.

The redshirt sophomore will enter the portal with two years of eligibility left.

Cartevious Norton – Running back

Norton was the first running back to announce his plans to enter the transfer portal. The announcement came off the heels of his absence in the final regular season games against Kansas State.

Norton started the season as Iowa State’s starting running back. Norton played limited snaps in the 2022 season but was injured through the start of the season. Norton rushed the ball for 343 yards and three touchdowns on less than four yards per carry in 2023.

Norton is a true sophomore and has not used his redshirt yet. He will have two years of eligibility left.

Treyveon McGee – Defensive back

The junior announced his transfer shortly after the first transfer announcement came through. McGee saw action in two games in the 2023 season, recording tackles against Ohio and Oklahoma.

McGee will have two years of eligibility left.

DeShawn Hanika – Tight end

After sitting out the 2023 season, Hanika was the first to announce his plans to enter the transfer portal. Hanika was the starting tight end for the Cyclones, but gambling allegations forced him to sit out for the 2023 campaign.

After mainly being used in special teams early in his career, Hanika played in all 12 games in the 2022 season. Hanika led the tight ends with 17 catches for 244 yards and four touchdowns.

Hanika will transfer with one year of eligibility remaining.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500