Players to Watch: Liberty Bowl Edition

Jacob Rice
Jeremiah Cooper at the Iowa State vs. Kansas State football game at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Nov. 25, 2023 in Manhattan, KS.

Iowa State:

Abu Sama III – Running back

With Sama coming off of his breakout performance in the Cyclones’ regular-season finale against Kansas State, he has the opportunity to prove that his record-setting in the snow was not a fluke. Things should go Sama’s way, as the Tigers have allowed an average of 169.5 rushing yards.

The young tailback has shown throughout the year when he has the ball in his hands, he is capable of busting out a big play. In five of his 10 games played this season, Sama has ripped off a run for longer than 25 yards, and in three of those games he had a run go for over 50.

The emergence of Iowa State’s run blocking made Sama’s job easy against the Wildcats, which has been a constant area of focus throughout the season. The offensive line’s ability to repeat their efforts against Kansas State will play a crucial role in Sama’s success, and taking weight off of quarterback Rocco Becht’s shoulders.

Jeremiah Cooper – Defensive back

In what will be his third game back after missing a pair of games midway through the season, Cooper’s ability to lock down the skies will be crucial against the Tigers. Not only does Memphis average the 13th most passing yards in the nation (301.7), but the Cyclones will also be without the talents of cornerback T.J. Tampa, who elected to opt out of Friday’s matchup.

During Cooper’s absence against Kansas and BYU, the Cyclones asked their younger guys in the secondary to step up, but none quite filled the role that the sophomore safety plays in Jon Heacock’s defense. His ability to make plays on the ball and force quarterbacks to look the other way will be needed with the loss of Tampa and some of the other depth Iowa State will be without.

Memphis will likely test Cooper and the rest of the Cyclone secondary often, as it has averaged 37.25 passing attempts per game. With multiple threats in the passing game to worry about, Cooper’s ballhawk mentality will need to return in order for Iowa State to lock down the skies.

Gerry Vaughn – Linebacker

In what is set to be his final game in the cardinal and gold, Vaughn will certainly be motivated to make an impact in his third bowl game appearance. Although he has also dealt with injuries this season, he is coming off a standout performance against the Wildcats, with eight solo tackles and his first interception of his six-year career.

While his talents in coverage will surely be needed against the Tigers’ pass-heavy offense, his ability to stuff rushers on any part of the field will be just as valuable. Memphis hosts a rushing attack that has averaged 4.6 yards per carry throughout the season, led by a veteran running back and a mobile quarterback.

Iowa State’s defense has been shaky at times this season, especially when it comes to giving up big plays. To keep Memphis from continuing its explosive offense that was displayed throughout the season, the veteran Vaughn will be trusted to corral his teammates together in order to walk out of his 63rd game as a Cyclone victorious.

Memphis:

Seth Henigan – Quarterback

From the moment he was trusted to be the Tigers’ starter as a true freshman in their 2021 season opener, Henigan has earned his flowers behind center. The Texas native has finished each of his three seasons with over 3,300 passing yards, along with 22 or more passing touchdowns.

After finishing his junior regular season with career numbers in passing touchdowns (28) and completion percentage (66.5), the veteran signal-caller will be a major point of emphasis for the Cyclones to take care of. All season long Henigan has made his gotten the ball into the hands of his playmakers, which has fueled the Tigers’ offense to average the seventh most points in the nation (39.7).

The one knock on Henigan is his performances against challenging opponents like Tulane and Missouri, both of which he threw a pair of picks in and led to eventual losses. With Iowa State boasting one of the better defenses in the Big 12, his performance will heavily impact Memphis’ chances against the Cyclones.

Blake Watson – Running back

Leading the charge in the Tigers’ explosive run game, Watson has consistently shown production throughout his first season with Memphis after transferring from Old Dominion. As the feature back, he has averaged a career-high 5.9 yards per carry along with a career-high 17 total touchdowns, 14 of which were on the ground.

Watson has scored a touchdown in nine of his 12 games this season and has broken the 100-yard mark four times. His veteran presence in the backfield has helped provide a complimentary piece to the Tigers’ offense when his number is called upon.

Iowa State has allowed the second-fewest rushing yards per game in the Big 12 (131.6) but will face one of its toughest matchups in the veteran Watson. Although his last month was filled with a roller coaster of performances, what has stayed consistent is his ability to find the endzone, which the Cyclones will need to prevent him from continuing.

Demeer Blankumsee – Wide receiver

Much like Watson, Blankumsee has been an impact player in his first year with the Tigers since departing from Toledo. Career numbers in receiving yards (825), receptions (51) and his team-leading six touchdowns have highlighted the Ohio native’s key role in Memphis’ offense.

Blankumsee has served as the Tigers’ deep threat throughout the year, despite his 5-foot-10, 185-pound frame. He has averaged the most yards per catch on the team 16.2, and has had a catch go for 25 or more yards in eight games.

With the Cyclones being shorthanded in the secondary, they will have their hands full with the endzone threat of Blankumsee and his big play ability.