Three Big Takeaways: Iowa State wrestling starts new year with another ranked win

Daniel Jacobi II
Iowa State’s Yonger Bastida lifts Arizona State’s Jonathan Fagen’s leg in Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 8, 2023.

New year, same results for the Cyclone wrestling team as they start 2024 with another victory over a ranked opponent.

The Cyclones last competed at the Collegiate Duals on Dec. 18 where they went 3-0, including a win over No. 5 Cornell. After a few weeks off, they traveled to Tempe, Arizona, and added another impressive win, taking down Arizona State 28-10. They finished non-conference play with a 7-1 record. 

Chittum continues to impress

Freshman Cody Chittum just notched the biggest win of his freshman year, defeating two-time NCAA All-American Jacori Teemer. The two competed in the same bracket at the Cliff Keen Invitational last month, however, they did not get to match up against each other. This time around, Chittum got the best of No. 4 Teemer after securing a takedown in the second period to win 9-5. 

This was Chittum’s first top-five victory of his young Cyclone career. He previously dropped the first three top-10 matchups this season, however, all three were close. He nearly defeated No. 2 Jared Franek of Iowa and No. 9 Daniel Cardenas of Stanford. His victory over Teemer showed Cyclone fans his potential. 

Taking ‘Carr’ of business 

David Carr and Yonger Bastida continue to put the entire wrestling world on notice that they are both clear national title contenders. 

At 165 pounds, Carr took on Nicco Ruiz and wasted no time. He defeated Ruiz 19-4 by tech fall to put the Cyclones up 16-10. Since his shocking loss at the Cliff Keen Invitational, Carr seems to have gotten faster and stronger and has yet to allow an opponent to come close to defeating him again. He finished non-conference 12-1.  

Bastida decided to go from 197 to heavyweight this season, and that seems to have been the best decision he has made thus far. Bastida came into the dual 12-0, including eight bonus-point wins, five top-20 victories and a 52:1 takedown ratio.

He did not slow down against No. 5 Cohlton Schultz, taking a 4-3 decision on Schultz’s season debut. Bastida has made it clear he loves takedowns and got one late in the first to secure three points. An escape in the third secured his 13th victory of the season, and he is still off to a perfect start to the season. 

Bounce back day

A few Cyclones have had an okay start to the season, however, have dropped a few close matches they would like to have gone their way. Kysen Terukina, MJ Gaitan, Will Feldkamp and Julien Broderson all have impressive victories this season. However, at times, it has been an up-and-down season for these wrestlers. 

All four of those wrestlers defeated their respective opponents Friday. Terukina started the night with a bang defeating Tristan Mascarenas 12-6.

Gaitan and Broderson also took care of business, while Feldkamp added another ranked win to his belt when he beat No. 26 Tony Negron. These wrestlers must continue to stay on the right track if the Cyclones want to finish top-five this year. 

Iowa State was without two key starters, Evan Frost and Casey Swiderski, but still coasted to a comfortable win over Arizona State on the road 28-10. The two losses came at 133 and 149, which both happen to be the weight classes Frost and Swiderski usually hold.