Three Big Takeaways: Cyclones erase early deficit with signature defense

Tyler Coe
Milan Momcilovic makes a runner in the lane against Houston at Hilton Coliseum on Jan. 9, 2023.

AMES — After erasing an uncharacteristic deficit to start the game, Iowa State leaned on its defense to grab its second consecutive Big 12 win in its 66-42 win over Oklahoma State, Saturday night.

Following a pair of delays due to Oklahoma State’s issues getting to Hilton, the Cyclones plowed past the Cowboys to improve to 2-1 in Big 12 play. Although Oklahoma State got the jump on the Cyclones to start the game, Iowa State answered back and stayed true to its strengths.

In true Iowa State fashion this season, the team lived in the paint, forced turnovers and bad shots from the opponent to cruise to its 13th win this season.

The two tales of the first half

Cyclones started 1-for-7 from the field. Three turnovers in the first five minutes. Iowa State then connected on four of its next six shots, but the defensive gaps on the other end kept the game in favor of the Cowboys.

Oklahoma State held the lead for the first 11:30 minutes of the game before the Cyclones got their offense rolling and became more aggressive on defense. Iowa State scored 12 unanswered points over the next five minutes, aided by three forced turnovers, and took control of the game after their slow start.

“We just started moving the ball and getting to actions quicker,” Milan Momcilovic said. “Getting better shots, wide-open shots, and the offense just started to roll for a bit.”

Iowa State kept its stride going through the rest of the first half and finished the first 20 minutes on a 21-11, and an 11-point lead heading into the break.

Hason Ward and Tamin Lipsey went back and forth, pressuring the paint and slipping through the Cowboys’ defense. They each finished the first half with double-digit points, 11 for Lipsey and 10 for Ward, and went a combined 9-for-16 from the field.

Ward and Lipsey also provided sparks defensively and were responsible for five of the Cyclones’ eight steals in the first half.

Defensive heavy second half

Iowa State kept the momentum at the end of the first half rolling and started the second half 4-for-9, and due to Oklahoma State’s shooting struggles, the Cyclones were firmly in control of the game with a 19-point lead. Despite going an underwhelmingly 7-for-16 from the field to finish the half, they did not need to focus on scoring due to their efforts on the other side of the court.

Oklahoma State shot 5-for-22 in the second half, including 1-for-10 from outside the arc. Iowa State forced tough shots from every level and did not allow the Cowboys a chance to get back into the game.

“I think our guys sensed once or ball pressure and speeding them up, we could kind of sense that it was being disruptive and I think our guys continued to do that,” head coach T.J. Otzelberger said.

Iowa State’s aggressive defense was felt in every aspect as they constantly were swiping at passes, fighting for loose balls and doubling up on shooters on the outside. Even when the Cyclones got too handsy and put Oklahoma State at the free-throw line, the Cowboys did not execute from there either and went 5-for-13 from the charity stripe in the second half.

Sticking with their usual game plan, Iowa State’s offense was fueled by its repeated efforts to force turnovers. The squad finished the game with 20 forced turnovers, which they scored 20 points off of.

“Even though we got off to a slow start we knew that we could fix it with our defense,” Tre King said. “We knew that we didn’t want to be complacent and fall back on things. So we really wanted to knock them out early and stay aggressive and keep our foot on the gas the entire time.”

New roles for struggling shooters

Since the start of Big 12 play, guards Curtis Jones and Keshon Gilbert have each had their respective offensive lulls. Gilbert’s usual efficiency at steamrolling into the paint, and Jones’ sharp shooting from outside have disappeared at times to start conference play.

Despite going a combined 4-for-12 from the field against the Cowboys, they each found ways to contribute to the Cyclones’ win. Both Jones and Gilbert finished the game with five assists, with the former also snagging a trio of steals.

“Those guys are veteran guys and I think every day they continue to improve and expand their game,” Otzelberger said.

The two guards have gotten their first taste of what it is like to play in one of the top conferences in the nation, and although their respective scoring talents have not translated well, they have found ways to turn in quality minutes.

Jones’ and Gilbert’s willingness to put their shooting frustrations aside and continue to make plays for the team has not gone unnoticed, and their efforts will need to stay stagnant for Iowa State to be contenders in the Big 12.

“As we continue to move forward in league play it is going to be important that they continue to do that because they are good players and competition is tough every night out,” Otzelberger said.