Fall 2024 multicultural enrollment data roundup

Caitlin Morey

Iowa State saw an increase in undergraduate multicultural enrollment in the fall 2023 semester as compared to fall 2022. In terms of total graduate multicultural enrollment numbers, the university saw a 0.43% decrease compared to the fall 2022 semester. This fall, multicultural students made up 17.48% of total enrollment, an increase from 17.27% in fall 2022.

Iowa State strives to recruit and enroll all qualified Iowans as well as strongly qualified students from the U.S. and abroad, Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management Laura Doering stated in an email.

“It’s important to keep in mind that undergraduate admissions are based on the Regents Admissions Index, or RAI, that establishes minimum admissions criteria based on a formula that includes ACT or SAT scores, high school GPA, and the number of courses completed in core subject areas during high school,” Doering stated.

According to Doering, Iowa State’s recruitment programs present students with a broad view of their potential experience on campus, including academics and student life.

“Students from many backgrounds find Iowa State’s size, student make-up, outstanding academic reputation and campus environment to be a good fit for their college experience,” Doering stated, adding that recruiting events both on and off campus allow admissions representatives to meet with a wide variety of students, including multicultural students.

Doering attributed the increase in multicultural enrollment to the general increase in first-year class size in the fall 2023 semester, stating that the percentage of students in the fall 2023 class identifying as multicultural is similar to the previous year.

Campus visits and a growing portfolio of high-quality academic programs have played a large role in the overall increase in first-year students, Doering stated.

“We know students who visit campus are more likely to choose Iowa State, and we have seen our visit numbers rebound after the pandemic. In-person orientation also contributes to students envisioning themselves on campus,” Doering stated.