Letter from the arts & culture editor: Out with the old, in with the new

Matteo Bender
Campanile from a distance at dusk on Oct. 4, 2023.

Hello Daily readers,

As we enter a new semester, you may have noticed a slight change on the Iowa State Daily website in recent days. The “Niche” heading at the top of our webpage has been replaced with a new “Arts & Culture” heading. Following a discussion between several members of the Daily and myself last semester, we have decided to change the name of my desk to “Arts & Culture.”

This is for several reasons, chief among them is the fact that it was difficult to explain what “Niche” covered. I feel that the new branding of my desk as “Arts & Culture” more accurately describes the sort of stories that my reporters and I tell. It is my belief that art is one of the best representations of culture, and through our continued coverage of both the Iowa State campus and the Ames community as a whole, we can highlight the past, present and future of our community as well as others.

That being said, our content will largely stay the same. Whether you used to click on “Niche” to read movie reviews, learn about the latest concert at the Maintenance Shop, or perhaps become more educated on an ongoing story in the entertainment world, the reporters at “Arts & Culture” will continue to provide you with the stories you enjoy.

Most importantly, if you have any story ideas or suggestions about content in the Iowa State and Ames communities or wish to join the Arts & Culture desk to write about what you are passionate about, my ears – and inbox – are always open.

As always, thank you for your continued support of the Daily and the work we do. Have a great start to the semester!

Best,

Sarah Currier

I can be reached at [email protected].