StuGov passes fiscal year bill, will create student satisfaction survey

Katarina Kotek
Vice President Quinn Margrett holds a gavel during an Iowa State Student Government meeting on Jan. 24, 2024.

The 2025 fiscal year bill passed with little discussion during the Iowa State Student Government meeting Wednesday night after tensions rose during their previous meeting which resulted in the tabling of the bill.

Only small verbiage changes were made to the bill this week before its passage. The fiscal bill itself gained attention with its new regulations on recording attendance at organization events.

“We made a lot of changes to this [bill] in areas such as the ID scanners that will help us know exactly how many people are coming to these events so we know how much money to give [student organizations],” said Sen. Trey Wellman, a junior in agricultural and rural policy studies.

Wellman also said this new rule will help alleviate the Student Government deficit.

Along with requiring ID scanners, the bill will also block organizations from seeking aid that can function without student government funds.

StuGov Survey

Vice Speaker Hannah Everhart, a senior in agricultural communication, introduced a new bill titled “Surveying Student Satisfaction in Each College” that will be distributed through a mass email.

Everhart said that the survey is being created to determine what “pressure points” are within colleges.

“With the data from that survey [Speaker of the Senate Alex] Cecil and I are planning to meet with all of the deans to address that data and the concerns that students have within their respective colleges,” Everhart said.

According to the bill, it addresses the fact that the Student Government has no methods to “capture the feelings of the student body on campus.” The bill passed and the Senate will deliberate in the future on which questions will appear on the survey.

Additional measures

Loui Amro, a junior in political science, and Lauren Vierregger, a freshman in agronomy, were sworn in to fill the vacancies.

Along with these bills, the Student Government is preparing for its election in March and the first formal event of this election cycle is the vice presidential debate Feb. 6.