Three Big Takeaways: Iowa State softball opens season strong in Mexico

Joseph Dicklin
Tatum Johnson winds up for a pitch against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Sept. 30, 2023 at the Cyclone Sports Complex.

The Iowa State softball team started the season with a 2-2 record after playing in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, over the weekend.

It was a mixed bag of outcomes, but the Cyclones left on a high note after matching up with two top-15 teams in Mexico.

Starting strong thanks to elite pitching

The Cyclones started their season with a win over Utah Valley with a final score of 12-1 after playing six innings. The win for Iowa State came with the help of sophomore Tatum Johnson finishing the game with four RBIs.

Senior pitchers Saya Swain and Karlie Charles helped the Cyclones in the circle against the Wolverines’ offense. Swain struck out four batters, while Charles only allowed three hits in the two innings she pitched.

Iowa State struggles against ranked teams

Moving onto the next day, the Cyclones took on No. 11 Duke where they fell to the Blue Devils with a score of 16-3 in five innings. The Blue Devils came out against the Cyclones scoring 16 runs on 16 hits from a few home runs and one grand slam.

Johnson and Angelina Allen helped the Cyclones the most, each having two hits of the eight total the team had.

Iowa State took on No. 7 Washington in the next game. While being neck-and-neck heading into the sixth inning, the Huskies came out with a couple of home runs to extend their lead.

Senior Carli Spelhaug helped Iowa State by hitting a home run to start the Cyclones off. Spelhaug was the only Cyclone to have multiple hits as Washington kept the team to only three hits. Senior outfielder Milaysia Ochoa had the other hit for Iowa State against Washington.

Finishing on a high note

On the last day, Iowa State played Long Beach State to finish the trip with a 7-5 win.

The Cyclones had a slow start to the day not scoring their first run until the fifth inning. Third baseman Ashley Minor and Spelhaug had two RBIs to help the Cyclones on offense. Iowa State finished the game with 11 hits and scored seven runs.

Swain helped the Cyclones in the circle, finishing with three strikeouts. Then, freshman Aziza Rodriguez came into the circle for Iowa State, finishing with no strikeouts but kept Long Beach State to two hits.

Iowa State is now 2-2 to start the season and will continue its season in Las Vegas by competing in the UNLV Desert Classic Friday through Sunday.