Celebrate Valentine’s Day in the “Heart of Ames”

Life Distilled is one of many businesses in Downtown Ames participating in the “Heart of Ames” celebration.
Sophie Winkelpleck

Businesses in Downtown Ames have something for everyone to help them celebrate Valentine’s Day during their Heart of Ames celebration until Sunday. From cooking classes to pouring your own custom candle, the Heart of Ames aims to highlight small businesses.  

Jenny Pollard is the founder and owner of Life Distilled, an all-natural health and wellness store. For the Heart of Ames celebration, Life Distilled is providing a build-your-own air plant terrarium bar. Walk-ins are accepted for those wanting to participate. They are also hosting a workshop Thursday where you can sign up to make your own essential oil bracelet. Pollard expressed her appreciation for the community in Downtown Ames and the support all of the businesses show each other. 

“Running a small business is hard,” Pollard said. “So when you have a community of folks who are all supporting each other and all collaborating, and I think Heart of Ames is a great example of that…we’re all promoting each other’s events.” 

Making an air plant terrarium is also convenient for students who want to add some life to their space but are confined to smaller dorms and apartments. Beyond that, Pollard believes Downtown Ames is a great place for students in general. 

“We think that when students discover Downtown, they really enjoy it,” Pollard said. “It’s a great place to just hang out, study and kill an afternoon.” 

Restaurants, shops, bookstores, ice cream shops, jewelry stores and more—all within walking distance of each other—make it easy to have a night full of variety. Shopping small also provides a more unique experience and is a way to help promote the economic health of the community. 

“You can feel really good about your purchase or your experience, more so than you would get in any large chain store,” Pollard said. 

There is also a sense of pride and responsibility that comes with owning and running a small business. Emphasis on customer service and a quality experience is what sets shopping small apart from other opportunities.

“We take our ability to serve the community very seriously,” Pollard said. “You’re going to get great customer service, people who want to help you find that perfect gift, or folks that want you to have a great time at your workshop and make it easy to sign up.” 

More information about events and opportunities during the Heart of Ames celebration can be found here