Ames Community Arts Council inspires creativity, elevates local artists

Ames+Community+Arts+Council+pictured+talking+with+two+students+at+the+People+to+People+Career+Fair+in+Memorial+Unions+Great+Hall.+
Robert Dillon
Ames Community Arts Council pictured talking with two students at the People to People Career Fair in Memorial Union’s Great Hall.

If you have ever checked out an art exhibition, attended a music or theater performance, or taken an art class in Ames, you’ve probably taken advantage of some offerings from the Ames Community Arts Council.

The organization, which was founded in 1976, is a non-profit that is “dedicated to building a sense of community and helping artists succeed,” according to its website.

Jennifer Brockpahler has been the director of the organization for eight years. Since she works at the Ames Laboratory, she said her involvement with the Ames Community Arts Council allows her to stay creative.

“I don’t currently practice an art form,” Brockpahler said. “So, this is sort of my outlet, my way to stay connected, and I find that I get a lot of satisfaction out of making things easier for other artists.”

When many people think of art, their minds might consider more traditional mediums, such as drawing, painting and sculpting. However, the Ames Community Arts Council supports a wide range of creative endeavors, including local music and theater.

“We’re not just here for the painters and the two and 3D artists,” Brockpahler said. “But we’re here for the singers, the actors, the radio producers, the culinary artists… people who are doing anything that they deem creative.”

For the Ames Community Arts Council, helping artists succeed can mean various things. It could involve organizing the annual Ames Artists’ Studio Tour or a monthly Gathering of Artists. It could also mean providing the community with free arts events for all ages.

To those who think that they may not enjoy the arts or aren’t creative, Brockpahler suggests broadening one’s definition of someone creative.

“Anyone who enjoys a good television show, or listens to a lot of music, or plays a good video game is engaging with the arts all the time … so we, as the Arts Council, hope you take that one step further and leave your house and go see something live … You might be surprised at what touches you,” Brockpahler said.

According to a 2018 poll by Americans for the Arts, 72% of Americans surveyed believe “the arts unify our communities regardless of age, race and ethnicity” and 73% agree that the arts help them better understand other cultures.

“Creativity is what makes a community thrive,” Brockpahler said. “Whatever that community, whatever that creativity might look like, just gives a place a unique flavor.”

To keep track of Ames Community Arts Council events, you can check out its online calendar, visit its Facebook page or sign up for the weekly newsletter. For those looking to get involved, the council offers internship opportunities and is accepting new members, including students and businesses. 

“We truly are here to serve everyone,” Brockpahler said. “I would hope that if you’d spend five minutes on our website or talking to a member, you’d find something that was of interest to you. If you’re looking for something to do in the arts in Ames, we are your resource…And if we don’t know the answer, we’ll find someone who does.”

The next Gathering of Artists will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at 130 S. Sheldon Ave. in Ames.