Rolwes running to represent College of Design after write-in tie in 2023

Brent Butler
Erik Rolwes, a sophomore in industrial design, is running unopposed for the only StuGov seat representing the College of Design. The photo was provided by Rolwes.

Iowa State Student Government Sen. Erik Rolwes, a sophomore in industrial design, is the only candidate running for the College of Design’s sole Senate seat after no candidates ran for the seat in 2023.

In the 2023 election, 84 College of Design students voted with 20 writing-in candidates for Senate, resulting in a tie including Rolwes.

Student Government is a student organization that exists to serve and represent all students, according to the student organization database. They annually distribute $2.6 million in student fee revenue to organizations on campus and in Story County.

The Student Government elections will take place March 5-6, and ballots will be emailed to students’ Iowa State email addresses.

The following interview with Rolwes was conducted by email:

What are your qualifications for being a Senator?

“My qualifications for being a senator include my active involvement in Student Government since August 2023, where I’ve served as the College of Design senator, as well as my ability to learn and effectively listen to people. Additionally, I have contributed to various governmental committees, including Sustainability, Student Initiatives, Rules, and ASSET.”

What are the most significant issues facing your constituents, and how will you address them?

“The most significant issues facing my constituents include increased SafeRide availability, improved food resources and availability, and better mental health support. As a senator, I am committed to addressing these concerns by advocating and writing bills. A lot of these can go beyond the College of Design, but with an emphasis on Design students, I think they will get the support they need. Expanded SafeRide services, enhanced food resources, and improved mental health resources all tailored to meet the demanding nature of Design Majors.”

Why should students vote for you?

“Students should vote for me because of my dedication and experience in making Iowa State University and the College of Design a better place for its students. I am deeply committed to serving the needs of my fellow students and advocating for positive change within the university community.”

Why do you want to return to Student Government, and what are you most proud of during your time in Student Government?

“I want to return to Student Government to continue my efforts in representing the needs of my constituents and driving positive change within the community. Design majors can be very demanding and stressful. Design students are some of the hardest working people, and they need more resources to support them. As I continue my journey at Iowa State University, I am deeply committed to serving the students of both the university and the College of Design. Together, let’s work towards building a more inclusive and vibrant community. I’m most proud about the design council. I helped revive the Design Council, which is a student-led organization that has been defunct since 2018, it is aimed at informing, empowering, and advocating for students and their interests across the College of Design.”