Freshmen adjust to the busy schedule of an ROTC college student

Hannah Olson/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State ROTC members march onto the field in celebration of Veteran’s Day before a game against Oklahoma State on Nov. 11 at Jack Trice Stadium. Iowa State and Oklahoma are tied up at halftime, 41-41.

Sara.Petersen

In addition to adjusting to college life, freshmen in the ROTC program also have to adjust to a life in the military.

For some freshman, balancing life between school and ROTC has been a challenge – but a great one.

“This has definitely been a learning phase, but it’s been fun,” said Isaiah Hamlette, freshman in economics and a Navy ROTC member. “I’ve really been enjoying the camaraderie and meeting new people.”

Not only do ROTC freshmen have to get used to military classes, labs and physical training tests, they also have to adjust the way they present themselves.

“One of the biggest changes is knowing you need to act a certain way when you’re in uniform,” said Brandon Daniels, freshman in biology and Marine ROTC. “We’re not representing ourselves in uniform, we’re representing the military and our country.”

Hamlette said what he has learned in ROTC has transferred to his everyday life as well.

“I see changes in the way I approach and greet people,” Hamlette said. “I’ve even started to call my professors ‘sir’ and ‘ma’am’ because I’m so used to saying those things.”

One of the special events ROTC freshmen participate in is New Student Orientation (NSO). NSO is a four day camp for incoming ROTC freshman and takes place the week before classes start.

“New student orientation is a great bonding activity for the ROTC freshmen,” said Jeremy Gross, naval executive officer. “They go through many group challenges that allow them to grow closer together.”

After over a month of military involvement at Iowa State, balancing college life and ROTC has been getting easier, and upperclassmen have a big hand in that.

“As freshmen, we get a lot of help from the upperclassmen,” said Delaney Keaveny, freshman in mechanical engineering and Navy ROTC. “They’re always there to help us keep up with things and to make sure our adjustment to ROTC life is going just fine.”