Schneider set to continue IFC representation in StuGov

Student Government Sen. Hunter Schneider currently represents the Interfraternity Council and is the only candidate running to hold that seat in 2024. The photo was provided by the candidate.

Student Government Sen. Hunter Schneider, who was confirmed to the Interfraternity Council (IFC) seat in the fall, is the only candidate running for the sole IFC seat within the Student Government Senate.

In 2023, 171 IFC residents voted for the only balloted candidate.

Student Government is a student organization that exists to serve and represent all students, according to the student organization database. They annually distribute $2.6 million in student fee revenue to organizations on campus and in Story County.

The Student Government elections will take place March 5-6, and ballots will be emailed to students’ Iowa State email addresses.

The following interview with Schneider was conducted by email:

What are your qualifications for being a Senator?

“I am currently serving as a senator so I bring some experience to the table in that regard, along with having held other leadership positions but overall, my drive to see campus be better for every member of the student body.”

What are the most significant issues facing your constituents, and how will you address them?

“One of the most significant issues facing my constituents is mental health and I have been working with the health and wellness committee to get more mental health resources out to my constituents.”

Why should students vote for you?

“I would love the opportunity to continue the work I have been doing in student government and would love to continue to represent my constituents to the student body.”

Why do you want to return to Student Government and what are you most proud of during your time in Student Government?

“I am most proud of the sexual violence prevention bill I just helped pass on February 28th, getting more sexual violence prevention resources out to everyone on campus along with a few other important aspects of sexual violence prevention resources. The reason I am running again is simply because I feel it’s important to make a difference, and I feel that I can best make a difference in my position and would love the opportunity to continue doing so.”