George Washington Carver art walk explores Iowa State’s art collection

Liam Brennan
Group on George Washington Carver Art Walk on Feb. 28.

The Iowa Art in State Buildings program requires new campus buildings and those undergoing renovations to spend 0.5% of their budget on art.

With this budget, Iowa State University Museums is able to hold one of the largest public art collections with over 2,500 individual pieces. But how could anyone possibly learn about all the paintings, pottery and sculptures scattered across campus?

According to Museums Docent Steve Petska, the answer is attending art walks. Petska, who leads art walks around campus, said art walks are a good way to learn about art and history.

His most recent walk explored George Washington Carver’s impact on Iowa State and showcased paintings, ceramics and statues around campus that honored Carvers’ legacy.

Petska said that he prepares in advance for walks by watching documentaries and researching on Google, but sometimes has trouble keeping up with the amount of incoming art.

“It’s just a constant education,” Petska said.

Petska said that his groups can range in size and demographic, but on this particular walk, retired Iowa State alumni made up the majority of the group.

“It gives us new things to look at,” said Jim Patton, a member of Iowa State University’s Class of 1966.

Gary Stefani, who is also an Iowa State alumnus, said he never paid attention to the art on campus when he was a student because of his busy schedule. He now makes an effort to attend art walks every month.

“I didn’t realize there was so much art on campus,” Stefani said.

Stan Rabe, who went to what he calls the “bare, ugly University of Northern Colorado,” said that the art on Iowa State’s campus blew him away. He said that he also tries to attend the art monthly.

“There are some things that are just so well integrated into the buildings,” Rabe said.

The next art walk will be held at noon on March 27 and will cover the art of Christian Petersen. More information can be found on the University’s Museum’s website.