Ames Public Library to host used book sale

The Ames Public Library will be hosting a used book sale this week.

The Ames Public Library will host the first day of a four-day used book sale from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in its Farwell T. Brown Auditorium.

The book sale opens at 5:30 p.m. for the general public. There is a $2 admission fee Thursday night, but if you are a donor to the library this past year at $20 or above, you get in free and early at 5 p.m. Everything at the book sale is $1.

The book sale runs from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday; there is no admission cost. The book sale is open from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. There is a $1 admission Sunday; however, everything is free for the taking. 

“Our large sales include thousands of books, DVDs, audiobooks and music CDs, either donated or withdrawn from the library’s collection,” said Ames Public Library Volunteer Services Coordinator Sarah Bohlke. “Make sure to give yourself plenty of time. There’s a lot of material in a relatively small space, so make sure you’re not in a hurry.” 

This sale is geared toward college students, and there are items at the sale for all ages. 

“Our book sales not only contain vintage material but many new authors and recent titles, and at $1 each, it’s a very affordable way to add to a person’s home collection,” Bohlke said. 

The Literary Grounds Bookstore will have a sale featuring vintage and collectible books, so make sure to stop by for $1 off everything in the store (except book bundles and items marked $1). 

The Ames Public Library Friends Foundation presents this book sale, and all proceeds from the book sale are used to enhance library programs and services. 

The Ames Public Library is located at 515 Douglas Ave. Call 515-239-5646 or visit the library’s website for more information on the book sale.