Back to the basics: Cyclones trust strengths, advance past Wildcats

Tyler Coe
Tre King throws up W’s after Iowa State defeats Kansas State 76-57 at the Big 12 men’s basketball tournament game against Kansas State, T-Mobile Center, Kansas City on March 14, 2024.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Iowa State returned to form in its quarterfinal matchup in the Big 12 Tournament with Kansas State, outworking the Wildcats defensively and scoring in significant areas to win 76-57 Thursday night.

In what ended up being a one-sided affair for the Cyclones in the second half, the team emphasized playing their game. Five days after losing on the road to this same team with their own style of play, the Cyclones knew they needed to revert back to what worked for them earlier in the season.

This meant staying aggressive and quick on defense and turning that into offense, a system in which the Cyclones have found success prior to an uncharacteristic end to their regular season.

“We’re a defensively minded team first and foremost so we pride ourselves on getting stops,” Tre King said.

The stops came for Iowa State throughout the game, to the tune of 20 forced turnovers which turned into 23 points on the other end. Multiple runs throughout the game for the Cyclones were fueled by steals and pass breakups, which allowed the team to either push the pace and get a bucket or set up a shot.

In the second half, Iowa State went on runs of 13-2 and 12-1, each partly due to their efforts to disrupt the Wildcat offense on the other end and poke balls loose.

“We got back to doing what we do defensively,” head coach T.J. Otzelberger said. “We really understood reconnecting our habits, our identity, who we are, what we do.”

The Cyclones did not just get back to forcing turnovers, the team also relied on its physical presence in the paint to generate points, another area that made up their offensive success earlier in the season. They outscored Kansas State 44-24 inside the paint and constantly found ways to put up shots.

A large part of their offensive success came from the forward tandem of King and Robert Jones. The two veteran Cyclones combined for 34 points and 12 rebounds, constantly outworking and outmuscling any Wildcats that challenged them.

Robert Jones shoots a jumper in the lane at the Big 12 men’s basketball tournament game against Kansas State, T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, March 14, 2024. (Tyler Coe)

Even when the ball was not in their hands, King and Jones kept the offense moving with sharp passes and screens around the halfcourt.

“We shared the ball, we played for one another,” Otzelberger said. “I give [Jones and King] all the credit in the world because they made the offense go.”

While Jones had one of his most efficient games from the floor this season, 6-for-8 from the field and 6-for-7 from the charity stripe, he kept his ego in check. The fifth-year senior knew he needed to stay true to the team and execute on his chances when he got them.

“I wasn’t focusing on what I was doing well, I was just focusing on the little things,” Jones said. “Doing what I can control, and the ball came back and found me.”

Iowa State stayed focused on every opportunity they had to turn Kansas State’s mistakes into points. The Cyclones’ continuous ability to outpace the Wildcats in transition and keep possessions alive gave them momentum in the second half which they rode until the final buzzer.

Outside of scoring more points in the paint and off turnovers Iowa State also outworked Kansas State in fastbreak points, 12-2, and second-chance points, 18-11.

“Our guys did a tremendous job keeping their focus on those areas and making sure we made enough plays to do okay,” Otzelberger said.

While their defense heavily impacted the Cyclones coming out on top and advancing to the semifinals, the attention they gave to outscoring the Wildcats in meaningful areas was what flipped Saturday’s result in their favor.