Former Ohio governor and two-time presidential candidate to speak at MU

Alex Hanson/Iowa State Daily
2016 Republican presidential candidate John Kasich speaks during a town hall in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

The former governor of Ohio and 2000 and 2016 presidential candidate John Kasich will take part in the Manatt-Phelps lecture series in political science at the Memorial Union on Wednesday.

The lecture is the 20th presentation of the Manatt-Phelps lecture in political science and it will feature a “fireside chat” with Kasich and Karen Kedrowski, Director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center, in the Great Hall with a discussion on socially responsible innovation, as well as a conversation about political unity and partisanship in government.

Kedrowski, the director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics, said the importance of the lecture series is important to the Iowa State community.

“We have been very fortunate to bring in political leaders, ambassadors and prominent journalists … to come and provide their insights about politics,” Kedrowski said. “It’s a real honor to bring in people of this caliber.”

Previous speakers who have participated in this lecture series include President Joe Biden in 2006 (a senator of Delaware at the time), E.J. Dionne Jr. in 2016 and Nikole Hannah-Jones in 2022.

Before becoming a two-term governor of Ohio, Kasich served as a congressman for 18 years, going on to be the chairman of the House Budget Committee. During this time, Kasich balanced the budget four times, which has not been accomplished since his time in Congress.

After working in the private sector, Kasich was elected governor of Ohio in 2010 and was the last remaining major Republican opponent against former president Donald Trump before suspending his 2016 presidential campaign.

Alex Tuckness, the chair of the department of political science at Iowa State, discussed Kasich’s diverse résumé in politics and private affairs.

“He brings a very wide range of different experiences,” Tuckness said. “He’s got extensive experience having been in Congress. He’s had extensive experience being governor of Ohio… he’s had the experience of running a national presidential campaign … He’s been doing a lot of really interesting stuff more recently trying to promote the idea of grassroots bottom-up innovation.”

The event is free to attend and open to all. For more information, visit the Iowa State lecture series website.