Name change for the Dean of Students Office presented to StuGov, Woofs & Wellness bill passed

Elizabeth Lane
Associate Vice President & Dean of Students Sharron Evans presents at Student Government at the MU on March 20, 2024.

Student Government welcomed Dean of Students and Associate Vice President of Student Affairs, Sharron Evans, who presented a proposed name change for the Dean of Students Office.

“When you hear the Dean of Students term, what do you think? Somebody is in trouble, right?” Evans asked.

Evans and the Dean of Students Office hope to change the name to better represent the 14 different departments and three programs including the Academic Success Center, Student Law Services and Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success, according to a pamphlet handed out during the program.

Evans hopes that through presentations such as the one to the Student Government and other stakeholders, a new title for the office can be agreed on by everyone.

“What we’re looking for is something that is descriptive of the 14 departments and the three programs. That’s not an easy task. I know. And so this is why we’re reaching out to change that and get some feedback on what you think it should be,” Evans said.

To collect proposed titles, the Dean of Students Office has created a survey for stakeholders to provide input.

Evans will keep the title of dean of students and no departments or programs under the office will be renamed either.

Sens. Alexandra Momaney, Jian Janes and Asray Gopa raised concern over the survey not being sent out to the entire student body.

“As I think student leaders do have probably, in a way, a desire for more in-context answers, I feel like there’s also a need for more students who are just looking at it and are using these systems for a day-to-day basis,” Janes, a senior in management information systems, said.

Evans said that the Senate represents the student body, and therefore the organization may have a more informed and rounded perspective on the name change.

The process to change the office name is expected to take around a year with a title being chosen in the summer, a soft-launch of the name in the fall and the changing of promotional materials to fit within the new title.

Orders of Business

One bill was passed Wednesday as the funding of Woofs & Wellness was debated, passing 20-0-0.

The program, which is sponsored by the health and wellness committee, is an annual event that promotes wellness in preparation for finals season. The event will have “therapy dogs, cookies, pamphlets, wellbeing coaches, and games” according to the bill.

Woofs & Wellness will be held from noon-3 p.m. April 10 on the lawn outside Parks Library.