Global Gala: Celebrating cultural diversity at Iowa State

Mia Wang/Iowa State Daily

The vibrant cultures of campus will take center stage as Iowa State hosts its annual Global Gala at 7 p.m. Friday in the Memorial Union’s Great Hall. The event aims to recognize the many cultures that make up diversity within Iowa State. 

The Global Gala first began in 2006 as a way to celebrate diversity and inclusion on campus. The event has been held each year since, with the exception of 2020 and 2021, due to the pandemic.

This year’s Global Gala will feature several activities for attendees to take part in. The event will feature performances from 11 different student organizations to showcase their cultural heritage through dance, music, fashion and more. Performances will include those of Groove Drumline, Mirage Middle Eastern Dance Troupe and the Tango Social Club.

We are so glad to have the opportunity to shine a spotlight on various cultural organizations on campus,” event director Olivia Thompson said. “It is really easy to see the world around you through the lens you grew up with, and because of this, it is so valuable to experience cultures other than your own.”

In addition to performances, the event will offer several other activities for students and visitors to engage in. The Global Gala will feature an interactive world map pinboard where students can drop a pin in their country of origin. The board will also include prompts where attendees can share more about their culture and where they have traveled. 

Students and visitors will have the chance to participate in a craft session hosted by The Workspace. Students and visitors can create their own personalized travel journals. Decorations will be available for personalization, including stickers, stamps and more.

Of course, no cultural celebration would be complete without cuisine from across the world. ISU Catering will provide a selection of globally inspired refreshments, including empanadas, pork bao and vegetable pakora. These culinary options will offer a taste of the diverse flavors and culinary traditions from around the world.

The Global Gala is sponsored by the Iowa State University Student Union Board (SUB) and is funded, in part, by  Student Government.

“We will be hosting it for years to come, and we hope to increase our outreach and representation of different cultures on campus,” Thompson said. “We have several organizations who will be performing for their second or third time this year, and we love to see how excited groups are to participate in an event like this. We know that there are over 120 countries represented at Iowa State, and each year we hope to broaden our scope to reach all students.”

The event is free and open to all to attend. For more information visit SUB online at www.sub.iastate.edu or call ISU Student Engagement at (515) 294-8081.