YWCA Ames at ISU to honor 2024 Women of Achievement

Courtesy of Angela Merrick, YWCA

The YWCA Women of Achievement award ceremony will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Reiman Gardens.

The YWCA is the oldest and largest multicultural women’s organization in the world. The YWCA Ames at Iowa State is the oldest women’s organization in Story County, beginning in 1890.

The Women of Achievement awards recognize and honor 12 women from Story County who have demonstrated outstanding leadership and excellence in their professional and personal endeavors per the mission of YWCA Ames-ISU.

“Each awardee is selected based on their nomination and reference letters, along with their work on the YWCA’s mission of eliminating racism, empowering women, and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all,” Angela Merrick, executive director of YWCA Ames at ISU, stated in an email response.

The 2024 Women of Achievement Awardees are:

• Abby McCormick, a senior in mechanical engineering – Youth Outreach
  • Christiana Langenberg, academic advisor for LAS Student Academic Services – Education
  • Eulanda Sanders, Chief Strategist of Innovation and Entrepreneurship for Human Sciences Administration – Education
  • Jacqueline Trujillo Garcia, a senior in finance – Young Woman of Tomorrow
  • Julie Saxton, mental health advocate for the Ames Police Dept. – Community Activist
  • Kierra Jack, a senior in interior design – Young Woman of Tomorrow
  • Kim Schilling, CEO of Bethany Life – Health
  • Laurna Evans Lindsay, a junior in Human Development and Family Studies – Young Woman of Tomorrow
  • Letitia Kenemer, Arts & Workplace Coordinator for the Memorial Union – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
  • nicci port, Coordinator for Diversity Equity and Inclusion for Outreach and Community Engagement – Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
  • Susan Benner – Volunteer
  • Sebnem Kurt, a graduate student in English – Scholarship Awardee

According to Merrick, the event will include a social hour from 6-6:30 p.m. with light refreshments and silent auction bidding. The program will begin at 6:30 p.m. and each awardee will give a short speech on their work toward YWCA’s mission.

Tickets are one for $35 or two for $60 and can be purchased at the door. More information on the ceremony can be found on the YWCA event webpage.