Above the rim: Hason Ward’s journey to impactful postseason play

Jacob Rice
Hason Ward dunks the ball during the first-round game against South Dakota State in the NCAA Tournament, March 21, 2024 at CHI Health Center Arena in Omaha.

From entering the season rounding out the starting five for the Cyclones, then being sidelined with an injury for over a month and not producing off the bench when he returned, it has been a bumpy road for Hason Ward.

But through all the hardships on the court, along with being thousands of miles away from home, the Barbados native has been a dynamic spark plug for Iowa State during its postseason run.

Since the Cyclones’ Big 12 quarterfinals matchup with Kansas State, Ward has averaged 14 minutes per game, most of which have been spent flying through the air. The fifth-year senior has been living above the rim throughout the season and has made an immense impact during the postseason with his jaw-dropping slams.

His presence has fit right in with the Cyclones’ offense, which has lived off of guards Tamin Lipsey, Keshon Gilbert and Curtis Jones constantly setting up shots.

“[Ward] is such a terrific lob threat,” head coach T.J. Otzelberger said. “Again, balance, to me, it’s about our guys making the right play and playing for one another.”

If you have tuned into any of Iowa State’s last five games, it is hard to miss Ward when he is on the court. With his 6-foot-9 frame, the intensity at which he sets screens, and most notably the NBA-esque dunks, Ward has been essential to the Cyclones’ recent offensive success.

Averaging nine points since the start of the postseason, including three games with double figures, Ward’s traits have kept opposing teams scrambling on how to defend him.

“You know when [Ward] screens and he is getting behind the defense, it’s not easy for a guard or others to try to help,” Otzelberger said.

His ability to live nearly two feet above the rim offers a unique role that other Cyclone forwards have not displayed nearly as consistently as Ward.

If Robert Jones and Tre King start cold, and opposing teams think they have shut down the Cyclones’ big-man presence, that is when Ward has shined his brightest.

“It’s definitely given us an added dimension offensively in the flow and transition, as well as in the half-court,” Otzelberger said.

Ward has gained the confidence of his teammates with his relentlessness in going over defenders and catching opposing defenses out of position. Whether it has been lobbed from outside the arc, on a backdoor cut or a sneaky pass inside, Ward has consistently delivered.

When Ward gives the signal, usually a simple finger point to the air, his teammates know they can trust him to execute.

“You can throw it anywhere with [Ward] and he gonna go get it,” Curtis Jones said.

In terms of elevating his play, Ward has always been about getting to the next level.

After playing three years at VCU, coming off two seasons where he averaged over 20 minutes per game, Ward transferred to Iowa State for the 2022-23 season. However, he had to take a backseat behind Robert Jones and fellow transfer Osun Osunniyi and averaged eight minutes in his 23 games played.

Ward elected to return for his final year of eligibility, knowing that it would take a ton of work to carve out the role he desired.

“I am just trying to do everything I can to get that role and try to earn that role,” Ward said at preseason media day. “I have been doing what I have to do to try and get my team better.”

The hard work has paid off for Ward, who has now cemented himself as a key roleplayer for the Cyclones during their NCAA Tournament run.

While the road to get him here was not easy, Ward is playing the best basketball during his time at Iowa State when it matters the most.

“It’s been a long journey, but I’m here now,” Ward said.

View Comments (1)
$2700
$2500