Small things, large meaning: Artist Tilly Woodward

Annika Trost
Woodward’s piece “Five Quail Eggs,” which can be found in the Brunnier Art Museum in Ames.

Art is found in many shapes and sizes. Tilly Woodward is an artist who finds power in painting small things. 

Woodward holds a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the Kansas City Art Institute and an Master of Fine Arts degree from the University of Kansas. Her artwork has been displayed in more than 194 museums on the international level, and she does about 350 to 400 classes and programs per year.

Growing up on a farm gave Woodward a unique artistic perspective and oftentimes a distinct inspiration. Most of her paintings are of various nests, small creatures or comparisons of objects and tools.

“I try really hard to paint every day and have it be habitual…It’s a reservoir from chaos and a celebration of objects through close observation,” Woodward said.

It’s essential to Woodward, as a dedicated artist, to devote time to practice even if her world is spinning. She has time set aside every evening and most weekends where she sits and escapes from the world to create.

The artist focuses on small objects because she believes “small things matter…the smallest things are often overlooked and often the first to suffer.” By painting the details of these small things, Woodward slowly brings them to life for her prospectors but also for herself. It gives her a new appreciation for not letting the tiny things of this world go unnoticed but rather learning and growing from what they have to teach.

“Beauty and connecting with beauty had saved me,” Woodward said. “Painting is evidence of thought, feeling, action—it’s leftover, an anchor of beauty and love.” 

One of Woodward’s paintings, “Five Quail Eggs,” is at the Brunnier Art Museum 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.