African Students Association to host African Night

Jackie Norman/Iowa State Daily
Afrofusion performs as a part of African Night on April 7, 2018, at the Ames Auditorium. African Night is held annually by the African Students Association and features cultural dances, a play, poetry and more.

The African Students Association (ASA) will be hosting African Night at 5 p.m. Saturday in Howe Hall with the theme: African Wedding. African wear and/or formal wear is encouraged.

“It’s basically a night and an opportunity to share the different cultures of Africa with everyone,” said Joetta McClain, a junior studying human development and family studies and a communications chair for ASA. “It’s just a night to just appreciate us as Africans. On the Iowa State campus, there’s not a lot of times that you’ll run into someone and they’ll be African, so we like to really highlight and take advantage of the time that we can be together and the time that we can celebrate.”

The event has an admission fee of $15, either at the door or on the Student Organization Marketplace. With the entry fee, attendees will be provided food from different African countries and regions, as well as song, dance, poetry and a fashion show.

Members of the ASA said the organization has been determined to keep the tradition of African Night alive, with at least three consecutive years held at Iowa State.

“I’m really excited to see the fashion show, and I’m excited to try the food,” said Tarminta Sonkaliey, a first-year studying management information systems and a public relations chair for the ASA. “I’m in charge of the catering and the food items, so I want everybody to enjoy themselves, and be like ‘She did a good job’.”

The ASA has high hopes for the turnout of the event, as the amount of people attending has increased with every year.

“Each and every year the numbers are increasing,” McClain said. “I know that there are a lot of people who know about the ASA now because we’ve been doing more general meetings that have been attracting more crowds. I’m very excited to meet some new people and get to know some new friends.”

To sign up for the event, RSVP at this link. To keep up with the ASA, follow their Instagram page or view their student organization page.