Cyclones head back home following Utah trip

Elizabeth Lane
Carli Spelhaug during the Iowa State vs. UNI softball game at Cyclones Sports Complex, April 2, 2024.

The Cyclones will play against St. Thomas at 4 p.m. Tuesday in Ames following a four-game road trip in Utah.

Iowa State is coming off of a three-game series against BYU, which started with BYU taking a win Thursday, 5-1.

With a pair of home runs for BYU junior Keila Kamoku and multiple hits from other players, the team dominated Iowa State on Thursday. BYU finished with nine hits, while the Cyclones were stuck with three between Milaysia Ochoa, Ashley Minor and Camille Marin.

The second game of the series ended with another win for the Cougars in Provo, Utah, however, the score was tighter. The teams finished the day with 13 hits each, and the Cyclones finished with zero errors.

Finishing the series Saturday, the Cyclones finished 0-3 against the Cougars on their road trip. While the Cyclones had more hits against BYU, the Cougars found other ways to score. The Cougars walked six times and scored eight runs on seven hits to win 8-5.

Iowa State is coming off a win against non-conference opponent Utah Valley after taking the win 4-2 Sunday. This was the second time the Cyclones had played the Wolverines this season. Iowa State won 12-1 in its first meeting at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge.

Karlie Charles was a crucial part of the Cyclones’ defense Sunday, giving up one walk and finishing with two strikeouts. Iowa State had a total of nine hits during the game from multiple different players.

The Cyclones finished their trip in Utah going 1-3, and now will have another non-conference game in Ames against St Thomas.