Calendar: LGBTQIA+ History Month

Iowa State students, faculty and community members meet Aug. 21, 2018, in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union to show off their pride during the LGBTQIA+ Welcome.

Logan Metzger

Organizations designated October as LGBT History Month in 1994, according to the Library of Congress.

According to glaad.org, it was created by Rodney Wilson, a high school history teacher in Missouri.

The month includes National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, the anniversary of the first march on Washington by LGBT people in 1979 on Oct. 14, and Spirit Day on Oct. 20, where people wear purple to support LGBT youth.

The month also includes Ally Week, and on Oct. 12, the anniversary of 21-year-old Matthew Shepard’s murder in 1998, which created the Matthew Shepard and James Byrd, Jr. Hate Crimes Prevention Act, according to glaad.org.

“In 1995, a resolution passed by the General Assembly of the National Education Association included LGBT History Month within a list of commemorative months,” according to the Library of Congress.

The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success and other offices on campus are hosting many events for students and the community to get involved in. The following events have been scheduled and listed on The Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success website:

Out & About: ISU Queer Archives

Date and time: Tuesday, Oct. 2 through Oct. 5 at 6:30 p.m.

RSVP with The Center

Description: The Center will be traveling to the Parks Library to be delving into the LGBTQIA+ history of campus life and activism. Hosted by Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success.

True Colors Walk-in Craft ($5)

Date and time: Monday, Oct. 8 through Friday, Oct. 12 from 2 to 10 p.m. each day

Place: The Workspace

Description: “Celebrate with The Workspace by making a throwback craft – a Perler bead keychain – brought to modern day by using colors from the flag with which you identify, including allies.” Hosted by The Workspace.

Coming Out Circle

Date and time: Tuesday, Oct. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m.

Where: 204 Carver Hall

Description: “Come in solidarity to listen and share your personal coming out story. This event promises to be moving and uplifting, and all stories shared here stay here. There is no requirement to share.” Hosted by Pride Alliance.

Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria

Date and time: Wednesday, Oct. 10 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.

Where: 101 Carver Hall

Description: “Free screening of The EMMY award-winning documentary Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton’s Cafeteria. Hosted by the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success.”

Coming Out Day Pop Up Photo Shoot

Date and time: Thursday, Oct. 11 (National Coming Out Day) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Where: The Center, 1064 Student Services Building

Description: “Celebrate National Coming Out Day with a personalized pride pic! Stop by The Center and create a unique photo to express your connections and commitment to LGBTQIA+ communities. We’ll have pride flags and some other fun props that you can use to take your photo to the next level of fabulous. All are welcome to participate!” Hosted by the Center for LGBTQIA+ Student Success.

Feminist Friday: LGBTQIA+ History

Date and time: Friday, Oct. 12 at 1 p.m.

Where: Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, Sloss House

Description: Presented by nicci port, project director for diversity and inclusion and LGBTQ+ initiatives, Office of Diversity and Inclusion. Coordinated by the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

Green Dot Action Week Keynote: Ericka Hart: “Where are All the Black People?”

Date and time: Tuesday, October 16 at 7 p.m.

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

Description: “Ericka Hart is an activist and sexuality educator with a Master’s of Education in Human Sexuality from Widener University. She will share her unique perspective on challenging anti-blackness and the importance of addressing sexual expression and human health at their intersections with race, gender, chronic illness and disability.”

Stellar Queer Science

Place and time: Thursday, Oct. 18 from 6 to 7 p.m.

Where: Ames Planetarium, B54 Physics Hall

Description: “The Ames Planetarium has kindly designed a show highlighting contributions made by queer scientists to the fields of astrophysics and astronomy. Learn about the night sky, the solar system and cosmos around us, and do it with Pride while celebrating the invaluable work of the queer scientists who came before us!” Hosted by ISU oSTEM and Pride Alliance.

HIV & STI Screenings

Date and time: Wednesday, Oct. 24 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Outside the Memorial Union by Lake LaVerne

Description: Primary Health Care will be bringing their new mobile testing unit to campus – located outside of MU by Lake Laverne. Stop by anytime during the event time. STI tests include Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis. Hosted by Student Wellness, Thielen Student Health Center, Primary Health Care.

Halloween Drag Show ($10)

Date and time: Saturday, Oct. 27 from 7 to 9 p.m.

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

Description: “Come out and see the Kings, Queens, and everything in between! There will be special guest performers and proceeds will go to supporting ISU students attending [Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Asexual College Conference] MBLGTACC.” Hosted by Pride Alliance.