Iowa State sports community mourns Celia Barquin Arozamena

Iowa State junior Celia Barquin warms up during practice. 

Isd Sports Staff

The Iowa State community and the sports world is mourning the death of former Cyclone golfer Celia Barquin Arozamena.

In a collection of tweets and media statements, Iowa State coaches and student-athletes spoke about her passion for the university and the impact she had on other students.

“Today is obviously a really hard day at Iowa State University, for anyone who represents this university,” said football coach Matt Campbell. “Our hearts, our prayers and our support go out to Celia, her family and certainly her teammates that are responding to such a cowardly act of violence.

“I do know this: I know this is a really powerful place. I know this is a place that will respond as one. We’ll get through this tragedy together.”

Volleyball coach Christy Johnson-Lynch addressed Barquin Arozamena’s death at Johnson-Lynch’s weekly media availability.

“We talked about it this morning with the team and the best thing that we can do is be there for the golf family and the players and the staff,” Johnson-Lynch said.

“We’ll be there for them as much as we can, and we talked about maybe honoring her in some way in one of our upcoming matches.”

Soccer coach Tony Minatta also spoke with the media Tuesday.

“It’s tough. Celia was a great representative of Iowa State athletics. She embodied everything that you would want in not only want in an athlete but in a human being,” Minatta said.

“I’ve had a lot of interaction with her over the years. She’s just that transcendent person that embodied the character values that you would look for in a student athlete.”

“It’s very difficult to process why something like that would happen to her and it’s just senseless and tragic.”

Along with Iowa State coaches, student-athletes weighed in.

Jess Schaben, a senior on the volleyball team, said about Barquin Arozamena: “We’re all really heartbroken and really sad by that, and we’re praying for her family and her teammates, of course.

“We want to honor her because she was a Cyclone and she’s one of us. It’s just really sad.”