Cyclones fall to Hawkeyes, 13-3

By Mikinna Kerns, [email protected]

Sheldon Croney Jr. rushes past an Iowa defender. The Hawkeyes defeated Iowa State 13-3.

Trevor Holbrook

An overall offensively-challenged game for Iowa and Iowa State resulted in the Hawkeyes’ fourth-straight win in the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series.

Despite the struggles, Iowa’s offense provided enough with 13 points in its 13-3 win over the Cyclones.

The fans covered in cardinal, black and gold saw a deadlocked score when halftime rolled around.

The first two quarters featured a lot of ugliness from both squads, highlighted by special teams.

Iowa State’s sophomore punter Corey Dunn booted punts of 13 yards, 14 yards and 38 yards before booming a 58-yarder before half.

On the kicking side of the special teams, Connor Assalley chipped in a 23-yard field goal for Iowa State’s only first-half points.

The chip-shot was put in place after a methodical opening drive for the Cyclones. Driving down to the 2-yard line, the Cyclones stalled after three plays and a false start.

For the Hawkeyes, senior kicker Miguel Recinos missed a 38-yarder and followed with a 31-yard make.

The Cyclone defense remained solid, primarily utilizing a three-man front in the first half while limiting Iowa to 73 yards.

Iowa also contained Iowa State’s offense, holding the Cyclones to 105 yards.

After half, the third quarter nearly mirrored the first half. Iowa held the Cyclones to 43 yards, two punts and a turnover on downs.

The Hawkeye offense managed 81 yards, highlighted by a 45-yard strike from junior Nate Stanley to sophomore Ihmir Smith-Marsette. After the big play, Iowa State’s defense stopped Iowa, forcing a 48-yard field goal attempt.

Recinos converted, giving Iowa a 6-3 lead.

The fourth quarter began with more kicking woes. With 13:56 left in the game, Recinos missed a 50-yard field goal, leaving Iowa State solid starting field position.

After the miss, sophomore quarterback Zeb Noland replaced a shaken-up Kyle Kempt. The offense remained lethargic under Noland.

Meanwhile with 4:47 left in the game, sophomore running back Mekhi Sargent scampered into the end zone, extending the Hawkeye lead to 13-3.

Noland attempted to rally the Cyclones, but Iowa forced a late turnover and punt to close the game.