Two charged, one an Iowa State football player, in connection with BB gun incident

The Iowa State team kicks off the first day of fall football camp on Aug. 3 on the Johnny Majors Practice field. 

Isd Staff

Two individuals have been charged in relation to the BB gun incident Thursday night in the Fredericksen Court area, according to Iowa State police.

Dallas Taylor-Cortez, a freshman football player who was one of four players suspended by coach Matt Campbell last Friday for “multiple instances of poor choices and behavior,” has been charged with harassment, a simple misdemeanor. 

Iowa State Police Chief Michael Newton said that Taylor-Cortez had used a laser attached to a BB gun and “threatened, intimated, and or alarmed” at least one victim and caused others to run from the area.

“His status on the team has not changed. He’s still suspended indefinitely and is not allowed to participate in any football-related activities,” according to a spokesperson for Iowa State athletics.

The three other players suspended from the program are Joseph Scates, a wide receiver from Dayton, Ohio, and a four-star recruit coming out of high school; Tayvonn Kyle, a wide receiver from Valdosta, Georgia, and a three-star recruit out of high school; and Jaeveyon Morton, a cornerback from Detroit. All three players are true freshmen.

Tyciera Whitaker-Wells, sophomore in early childhood education, has also been charged in relation to the BB gun incident with a false report to a public entity, a simple misdemeanor.

Newton said Whitaker-Wells reported to police during the incident that the suspects were near Building 72 in Fredericksen Court with knowledge that the individuals involved were actually near Building 35.

Newton said Whitaker-Wells willingly admitted to calling the police with the intent to draw attention away from the suspects and divert law enforcement. 

On Thursday night, Iowa State sent out a total of three alerts that described four college-age men reported near Building 32 in Fredericksen Court, with one carrying a handgun and another carrying a rifle.

At about 11 p.m., the Iowa State Police Department released the third alert that the area was clear and that the weapons in question were BB guns — three handguns and one rifle.

According to Iowa State’s firearm and weapon policy, “the possession or use of weapons is prohibited on campus and in the course of university-related activities unless authorized through the firearms and other weapons application process.”

According to the Iowa State Police Department, the investigation into the incident is continuing and charges may be filed on other individuals associated with the incident.