Police chief: ‘Everybody has been cooperative with us tonight’ regarding BB gun incident north of Iowa State

Courtesy of Google Maps

Fredericksen Court 32

Isd Staff

UPDATE 12:04 A.M.: One suspect is in custody after police reported several individuals in the Fredericksen Court area with BB guns, resulting in three ISU Alerts having been sent to the Iowa State community within the timespan of 1.5 hours.

Officers were still on-scene conducting interviews as of 11:45 p.m. Thursday evening, however, police believe all weapons have been confiscated. 

“Everybody has been cooperative with us tonight,” Iowa State Police Chief Michael Newton said. 

Newton said that the BB guns used in the incident looked realistic, prompting the department to send out an alert. As of Thursday night, Iowa State police confiscated four weapons — one airsoft rifle and three airsoft handguns that looked “very real.”

Newton said that during the situation, his officers were searching building-to-building and were letting residents know they needed them to stay in their apartments. At one point, Newton said, the police received a report that the suspects were firing the weapons: “We first heard they may be BB guns because they weren’t firing like normal weapons.”

So far, Newton is unaware of any possible damages in the the area. 

According to Iowa State’s firearm and weapon policy, “the possession or use of weapons is prohibited on campus and in the course of university-related activities unless authorized through the firearms and other weapons application process.”

“There may not be charges, but it is still against rules to have weapons on campus,” he said, noting that the ISU PD is still trying to figure out the intent of the individuals. 

Newton could not provide confirmation as to whether the individuals involved are students. 

UPDATE 11:19 P.M: The Iowa State Police Department has one suspect in custody after reporting two armed suspects near Fredericksen Court late Thursday evening.

Multiple BB guns were recovered, according to police. Throughout the night, Iowa State sent out to ISU Alerts to the community. 

UPDATE: A second ISU Alert has been sent to the Iowa State community reporting four college-aged male adults, with one carrying a handgun and the other a rifle. 

“More info: 4 suspects: college-aged black male adults: 1 w/ white clothing w/ handgun; 1 w/ shorts & t-shirt w/ rifle. Police searching area,” the alert reads.

The Ames Police Department is also investigating. 

According to Iowa State’s firearm and weapon policy, “the possession or use of weapons is prohibited on campus and in the course of university-related activities unless authorized through the firearms and other weapons application process.”

ORIGINAL: Two possibly armed individuals have been reported near building 32 in Fredericksen Court, according to an ISU Alert by the Iowa State Police Department.

Authorities are investigating and advising individuals to stay out of the area at this time. Everyone on campus should stay inside and seek a safe location, according to the alert.

The Iowa State Daily has reached out to the Iowa State Police Department for comment.

Follow the Iowa State Daily for more updates as it becomes available.

The Daily’s Devyn Leeson and Alex Connor contributed to this report.