YMCA Cap City Recap: Steyer, Haliburton catch fire from three

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Members of the Iowa State Basketball Team took part in the second weekend of Cap City League games Sunday June 24 at Valley High School. This weekend seven ISU Players participated. 

Noah Rohlfing

Only three Cyclone players suited up Sunday night in the final regular season games of the YMCA Cap City league, but there were still multiple offensive explosions from Iowa State players.

Game one: Lions Clubs of Iowa 107, Hannah Homes 104

Sophomore guard Terrence Lewis missed again for Hannah Homes and junior forward Michael Jacobson missed for Lions Club, but freshman guard Tyrese Haliburton put on a show Sunday night.

Haliburton shot 14-for-24 from the floor and had 38 points, eight assists, six rebounds and five blocks to lead Lions Club to victory and an undefeated record. 

Game two: Hinterland 135, Waukee-Clive Vet Clinic 115

The absence of Zoran Talley Jr. and other key players proved far too much for Waukee-Clive Vet to handle, as sophomore walk on Eric Steyer scored 23. 

Steyer hit seven 3-pointers on the night and grabbed five rebounds as well. 

Hinterland has now won two straight, but the team will still be the sixth and final seed in the playoffs due to their minus-26 point differential. 

Game three: MRG International 120, Sparta Waste Services 115

Freshman George Conditt scored 33 points (and missed a few dunks), but it was not enough for Sparta to overcome a Talen Horton-Tucker-less MRG International. 

A 47-point performance from Reed Mells paced MRG. 

Sparta Waste Services will get a bye to the semifinals as the second overall seed, while MRG International will be the fourth seed. 

Playoffs begin at 5:30 p.m. on Thursday at Grand View University.