Twelve Cyclones picked in the Cap City League draft

Lindell Wigginton hangs from the rim after dunking during Thursday night’s Capitol City League game in Ankeny.

Trevor Holbrook

Correction: the original article misnamed Waukee-Clive Vet Clinic and MRG International.

Major League Baseball held its draft on Monday night, but in central Iowa, the spotlight was on the YMCA Cap City League Draft.

Cap City League is a summer league in Des Moines and Ankeny featuring teams sponsered by local businesses.

The draft has a round with Iowa State players available, followed by a round with Drake players available and then multiple rounds with other college and high school players from Iowa.

With the first pick of the Iowa State round, Hinterland selected Marial Shayok. Fans have yet to see if the Virginia transfer’s game translates to the Big 12, but it certainly bodes well in the Cap City League.

Shayok finished last season with the Cap City League championship and MVP award.

Next, Sparta Waste picked Lindell Wigginton. Wigginton played on the Canadian U19 team last summer and dealt with a concussion, resulting in the point guard missing a bulk of the Cap City games last season.

With the third pick, MRG International chose incoming freshman Talen Horton-Tucker. Horton-Tucker is a new face to Cap City League, but the top-50 prospect brings length to the table.

The Des Moines Lions Club grabbed Nebraska transfer Michael Jacobson with the fourth pick. Jacobson dominated the glass in Cap City League last year, finishing second in rebounding.

The Waukee-Clive Vet Clinic went for versatility at pick No. 5, selecting Zoran Talley. While Talley played at Iowa State last season, he spent last summer focusing on academics instead of playing in the Cap City League.

The sixth team — Hannah Homes — drafted new-comer Prentiss Nixon. Nixon is new to Ames, but the guard averaged 16.1 points per game at Colorado State last season.

Hannah Homes added more shooting, picking Terrence Lewis with the seventh pick. Lewis was in the mix for Cap City League MVP last season, averaging 28 points on 58 percent shooting.

The Waukee-Clive Vet Clinic added size with its second pick, Solomon Young. Young contributed 7.2 points per game and 5.9 rebounds per game for the Cyclones in his sophomore season.

The second incoming freshman came off the board with the ninth pick as the Des Moines Lions Club picked Tyrese Haliburton.

Haliburton is seeking the Cap City League championship after coming off a Wisconsin state championship in his final high school season.

Zion Griffin, another incoming freshman, was next with MRG International picking him No. 10. Rivals placed Griffin as the No. 83 overall recruit.

Sparta Waste picked George Conditt at No. 11. Conditt will be in shape for the Cap City League with the incoming freshman playing in the U18 Championships in June.

To close the Iowa State round, Hinterland picked Ames native Eric Steyer. Steyer is a walk-on for the Cyclones. Steyer shot 38 percent from behind the arc at Ames High School.

Nick Weiler-Babb will be inactive for Cap City League due to an internship in Topeka, Kansas, and Cameron Lard will be at a wellness center during the summer.

Cap City begins play June 17th at Valley High School in West Des Moines.