Lindell Wigginton withdraws himself from the NBA Draft

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State freshman Lindell Wigginton rises up to shoot during the second half against Texas in the Big 12 Championship. The Cyclones lost, 68-64.

Trevor Holbrook

Iowa State standout guard Lindell Wigginton announced his decision to return to Ames for his sophomore season on Wednesday. 247Sports first reported the news.

Wigginton waited late in the NBA Draft process to remove himself from the pool of draft eligible players, announcing the news hours before the deadline. 

The NBA Draft attention reached Wigginton after a solid individual season on a below .500 Iowa State team.

Wigginton has piqued the interest of some draft experts, finding himself at No. 28 in NBADraft.net’s 2019 mock draft, and No. 32 in ESPN’s first 2019 mock draft. It’s safe to say the Cyclone guard has a lot to gain in the upcoming season.

Wigginton averaged a team-high 16.9 points per game and tied for first on the team with 28 steals. Wigginton also tallied an average of 3.7 rebounds per game.

Weaknesses in Wigginton’s game can be found in turnovers and at the free throw line. Wigginton turned the ball over 92 times in his freshman season (to compare, Nick Weiler-Babb was second on the team with 55 turnovers).

At the charity stripe, Wigginton hit 66 percent of his free throws.

With Wigginton’s return, the sophomore-to-be will be expected to shoulder a good chunk of the offensive scoring again.