GPSS holds final meeting at Vet Med

Norin Yasin Chaudhry is elected Graduate and Professional Student Senate President for the 2018-19 school year. Chaudhry is a graduate student in Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 

Jillian Alt

Graduate Professional Student Senate (GPSS) met for their final meeting of the 2017-18 school year tonight at the College of Veterinary Medicine.

Changes to the Graduate Research Conference were discussed at the meeting as well, as concern about attendance was raised. Discussion took place between the senators about how this can be fixed in the future.

They also discussed a video that went viral involving racist comments, the subject of which was thought to be an Iowa State student. The university confirmed it was not an Iowa State student, but this still raises concerns for Iowa State.

GPSS discussed bringing back Veishea at the meeting during discussion. 

The resolution was to improve upon the Ames community instead of just within the university. 

Professor Kristen Constant, the interim vice president of IT Services and CIO came to talk to GPSS about a variety of topics concerning graduate students, including the graduate assistantship term legislation and privacy with the Iowa State Directory.

Steve Winfrey, director of the Memorial Union, also came to the meeting. 

Winfrey spoke about his life struggle as a Hawaiian with Native American, Japanese, Hawaiian and Canadian Heritage who appears to be caucasian and connecting with international students.  

Winfrey also talked about a leadership retreat being offered by the Memorial Union to Lake Okoboji. Forty students are taken and they go canoeing and kayaking, as well as work on leadership features like self efficacy and self-confidence. 

Winfrey said he is still compiling focus groups for a date to be selected, however this leadership retreat is offered to all students, and fills up quickly.

President elect Norin Yasin Chaudhry presented President Vivek Lawana with a plaque on behalf of the entire senate to thank him for his hard work with GPSS.

The rest of the executive council members were presented with plaques by the senator who will be taking their place next year. 

Each of the members of the executive council in attendance thanked the senators and the other council members during their reports for their final GPSS meeting, as well as presenting certificates of appreciation to their committees.

The executive council held a raffle for remaining gift cards from the Graduate Research Conference as a thank you to the senators.