‘Employment-based immigration paths and processes’ presentation to take place in the MU

Katy Klopfenstein/Iowa State Dai

Joann Barten from Barten law P.C. spoke to students in the Sunroom in the Memorial Union to students on being granted United State Citizenship through employment on March 3, 2015.

Zhe (Mia) Wang

JoAnn L. Barten, immigration lawyer from Barten Law P.C., will give an employment-based immigration presentation 6 p.m. Monday in the Sun Room of Memorial Union.

The presentation will focus on the legal permanent resident process for the EB-1A (Extraordinary Ability); EB-1B (Outstanding Professor or Researcher; for those interested in employment outside Iowa State); EB-2 (Advanced Degree Holder; for those interested in employment outside ISU); EB-2 NIW and EB-3 (Professional or Skilled Worker; for those interested in employment outside ISU) options.

Following the presentation, there will be a Q&A session based on questions collected prior to the presentation.

Barten will go over the categories, descriptions, criteria and application process for all the employment-based immigration options.

According to ISSO, Barten will not address case-specific questions either during or after the presentation. This presentation will not be recorded, but the PowerPoint will be posted to the ISSO website following the presentation.  

Barten graduated from Saint Louis University School of Law in 1997. She entered private practice in Iowa in 1998 and began handling immigration law cases in 1999.

Barton is an appointed Commission Member of the Iowa Supreme Court Client Security Trust Commission since 2012. She has been a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association for 19 years and was elected Chair of the Iowa-Nebraska Chapter for two separate terms.

Barten has handled nearly every type of U.S. immigration case with Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS), Department of Labor (DOL), Department of State (DOS). She often fixes legal mistakes of others or help with lengthy delays.