Items students wish they had brought to college during their freshman year

Jillian Mckee

Stuffing all of your belongings into one car isn’t the ideal way to kick off the college experience.

It requires a lot of foresight to pack everything you need for a year away from home, and you’re bound to forget something. While there’s no way to predict your every need, current Iowa State students have some advice and recommendations from their first year of college.

Hannah Harnack, a junior in event management, especially missed wholesome meals prepared by her family.

“I wish I would have brought more leftover food from home,” Harnack said. “I constantly missed home-cooked food, so I should have brought more food from home to freeze and eat. Whenever I was sick, I wish I had my dad’s chili to eat. I know it would have made me feel better a lot quicker.”

Arielene Chen, senior in advertising, forgot to bring her favorite book collection with her when packing for college.

“It was Christmas 2016, around the end of November,” Chen said. “I just finished watching the Harry Potter movies, and then I knew it was time to reread the books. I had to go to the Ames Public Library to get them, but then they did not have all of them when I needed them because they were already checked out. You can only imagine my frustration and disappointment. If only I had brought my books with me.”

Natalie Pettigrew, senior in public relations and network administration, didn’t consider various convenience items she would need for college life.

“It wasn’t that I regretted bringing things,” she said. “It was more so I discovered that I needed them. Examples of this would be comfortable shoes for exploring campus, a Halloween costume and other themed accessories, and also a mattress topper.

“There were a lot of Birkenstock purchases made in August,” Pettigrew said.

Madison Lapke, junior in global resource systems, forgot the need for rain gear.

“When you first come to Iowa State, it’s still warm out, so you don’t immediately think about it,” Lapke said. “I had to go out of my way to buy a raincoat and rainboots one day, and I instantly regretted not bringing them from home.”

Hannah Fisher, senior in agriculture and society, regretted not bringing casual objects such as blankets and pillows that reminded her of home.

“The only blanket I brought with me was the comforter that went on my dorm bed, and it wasn’t nearly as cozy,” Fisher said. “All I wanted was an old blanket from home to cuddle up with while I watched TV or laid on my Futon. The comforter I bought for college just wasn’t the same.”

Harnack said students should “bring a piece of home” with them. 

“I brought my pillow case from my bed at home, and it was something small, but it stuck out because it didn’t blend in with my dorm decorations,” Harnack said. “It was different and also a constant reminder of home.”

So what should freshmen consider when packing for the next big chapter in their lives?

“Think about the items you use every day now, and translate that to what you think your school and weekend life will be like at Iowa State,” Pettigrew said.