The LEAD Team paves the way for leadership enhancement

Caroline Claxton

Iowa State University offers an abundance of resources and services to students and clubs. 

The Leadership & Service Center, located in the East Student Office Space of the Memorial Union, is a place where both students and clubs alike can look to for guidance and resources. 

They offer a wide variety of services and events encouraging students to help get involved while providing them with insight to leadership skills. 

The Leadership Education and Development (LEAD) Team is a group of Iowa State student leaders committed to the advancement of student leadership opportunities on campus. The team is in charge of planning conferences, retreats, and workshops for student organizations. 

They also offer assistance to students in starting an organization or providing assistance to improve the one they already lead. The LEAD Team can help plan and facilitate icebreakers and team builders for clubs as well as event planning, effective communications skills, membership retention, goal setting and fundraising.

Throughout the year the LEAD Team puts on a variety of events to take part in such as the Emerging Leaders Retreat, Leaders Workshop Series, WE Lead, Iowa State Leadership Experience, Social Justice Summit and TedxIowaStateUniversity. 

Each event is tailored to address the different struggles and realities one might face in a leadership position. 

The LEAD Team also works with the Alternative Breaks program, the Non-Profit Protégé program and the fall volunteer fair to connect students to volunteering resources and encourage participation. 

Cassidy Welch, 22, the Director of Services for the Leadership & Service Center said one thing she wishes students knew was that, “If anyone is looking to start a club, we offer a lot of resources to help with the process. We also provide different workshops and team activities for clubs struggling with membership or teamwork.”