Middle Tennessee State hands Iowa State first loss of the weekend

Mikinna Kerns/Iowa State Daily

Sophomore Catcher Kaylee Bosworth trows the ball back to Sophomore Pitcher Savannah Sanders Sep. 23. The Cyclones defeated the Kirkwood Eagles 9-1.

Ivan Vega

Another weekend filled with softball for Iowa State on its second day of the Courtyard Marriott Osprey Classic in Jacksonville, Florida.

The Cyclones took the mound at the start of the afternoon facing Middle Tennessee State.

Kaylee Bosworth opened up the scoring, after an error by the Middle Tennessee State’s catcher in the bottom of the second.

Middle Tennessee State would then answer back, when Morgan Harris singled to right field, scoring in Summer Burgess in the top of the third. Then, Precious Birdsong singled up the middle, scoring in Kirstyn Cuccia in the top of the fourth.

The Blue Raiders would continue to increase their lead by scoring two more runs to bring the score to 4-1. Middle Tennessee State’s Danielle Munoz homered to center field, scoring in Kristin Uselton.

The Cyclones found themselves in scoring opportunities when they had Jackie Chairez on second base in the final inning of play, but could not find a way to bring her in.

This was the last action of the game, as Middle Tennessee State held its three-run lead, marking this as the Cyclones’ first loss in the tournament.

The Cyclones had four hits, compared to the Blue Raiders 11. Iowa State left seven runners left on base and Middle Tennessee State left 12 on base and had one error to the Cyclones’ three.

The Cyclones went five innings without a hit and could not stop the Middle Tennessee State offense.

The Cyclones will play their second game of the tournament at 5 p.m. against co-host North Florida.