Ice, Ice, Maybe?

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Icicles hang off of Bruce White’s ‘Carom’ sculpture Jan. 16. Freezing rain is expected to continue to fall throughout Monday. 

Caitlin Yamada

A winter weather advisory has been released for the Ames and Des Moines area by the National Weather Service (NWS). It remains in effect from 9 p.m. tonight to noon on Tuesday. 

According to the NWS, “freezing rain is expected and total ice accumulations between 2/10 to 1/4 of an inch are expected through Tuesday morning.”

For classes to be cancelled, many factors are taken into consideration. The university’s senior vice president for University Services, with consultation from the president, provost, public safety officials, the Iowa Department of Transportation, city of Ames, CyRide and maintenance staff, make the decision. 

Pam Cain recently became the senior interim vice president for University Services. 

“We are monitoring at the time, and we will try to made the decision by 5 a.m.,” Cain said. 

The Closing and Cancellations policy states that “generally, when CyRide is operating and streets and sidewalks are passable, the university remains open.”

There is no policy on when professors are required to cancel classes, “most of the time it’s based on whether or not they can make it in safely, then it’s in their best interest and the student’s to cancel class,” Cain said. 

If a decision is made, the information can be found on the university’s home page or local media. Students can call the Campus Information Center at (515)-294-4357 with any concerns.