Only Asian sorority and fraternity at Iowa State raises awareness for Asian students

Courtesy Delta Phi Lambda and Pi Alpha Phi

Members of Delta Phi Lambda and Pi Alpha Phi pose together in front of Beardshear Hall.

Zhe (Mia) Wang

Delta Phi Lambda and Pi Alpha Phi are the only sorority and fraternity at Iowa State specifically advocating for Asian and Asian-American students. Their role in the student organizations of Iowa State is to raise awareness for Asian students and form a united bond among Asian students.

Delta Phi Lambda Sorority is a nonprofit that operates as an advocate for Asian awareness and women leaders. Delta Phi Lambda’s national chapter philanthropy is osteoporosis awareness in hopes of promoting healthy lifestyles and preventing osteoporosis.

Delta Phi Lambda was founded just 20 years ago, in 1998, and now has 19 undergraduate chapters in 11 states in the Midwest and East Coast.

At Iowa State, Delta Phi Lambda has 21 members listed on their website. Right now, the sorority is focusing on recruitment.

“Our sorority is not just for Asians or Asian-Americans, everyone who has the interest of raising awareness for Asian students can join,” said Kristi Lee, senior in animal science and president of Delta Phi Lambda.

The recruitment process takes two to three weeks. During this time, there will be recruitment sessions, social events with other organizations and sisterhood sessions. In the end, Delta Phi Lambda offers applicants bids and applicants can decide whether to join.

Once applicants accept the offer, the education process will take place. After six to eight weeks, applicants will officially be accepted as Delta Phi Lambda sisters.

“Some things we value are academic excellence, leadership skills, sisterhood and community services,” Lee said.

Delta Phi Lambda holds fundraisers every semester. They donate a portion of the funds to charities and individuals, such as the victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. The rest of the funds will go to the sorority’s activities.

Delta Phi Lambda’s mission statement is “Delta Phi Lambda Sorority, Inc. advocates Asian awareness, empowers women leaders through its values-based programs, and forges everlasting sisterhood through diverse shared experiences.”

The founder of Delta Phi Lambda is Anh Ngoc Nguyen. She began her education at the University of Georgia, where it was difficult to find friends who could understand and relate to her Asian background, according to the Delta Phi Lambda website.

Nguyen felt there was a need for a social organization for Asian students at the predominantly white institution, feeling there was a lack of camaraderie among Asian students.

According to the sorority’s website, Anh Ngoc Nguyen and Theresa Sung then contemplated starting an Asian sorority at the University of Georgia.

“The founders felt a need for an Asian-interest sorority to promote Asian awareness on campus,” according to the website. “They wanted to educate their peers about the Asian culture and to strip away the stereotypes that were attributed to Asians.”

Pi Alpha Phi is the Asian fraternity at Iowa State. It was founded in 1929 by six Asian-Americans at the University of California, Berkeley, based on the shared values of bonds of brotherhood, mutual experiences, academic excellence, service to the community and Asian American awareness, according to its website.

There are 11 members in Pi Alpha Phi at Iowa State right now.

Kevin Dang, senior in industrial engineering and the president of Pi Alpha Phi, talked about the overall negative image of fraternities portrayed by movies and TV shows.

“We are trying to change the culture of what fraternities and sororities look like. A lot of people join because they want to have a good time and they want to meet people and party,” Dang said. “That’s completely fine. At the end of the day, you join a fraternity because you want to grow closer with the people you join with and your own interest of developing as a person.”

Pi Alpha Phi has produced members in nearly every professional field in the more than 80 years it has been in existence. Members of the fraternity felt the organization provides an important service to students.

“I think Pi Alpha Phi serves Asian students who want to join a college Greek letter organization but not a traditional one,” Dang said. “So they can feel what it is like to be in a fraternity and also socialize with fellow Asian students.”

Dang said the fraternity is focusing on recruitment at the beginning of the semester. Pi Alpha Phi welcomes all students who have Asian interests.