Iowa State alumna wins I.O.W.A STEM Teacher Award

Teresa Green, a teacher at Edwards Elementary School, helps 1st grade students build a marble run in the combined library/Makers Space Jan. 23. 

Willa Colville

The science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields have a large presence on Iowa State’s campus. Youth outreach in the STEM fields has been a focus at the university with programs such as Taking the Road Less Travelled, the Student Role Model program and STEM Fest, but one alumna has gone above the typical means of outreach when it comes to encouraging students to take an interest in STEM. 

Teresa Green, Iowa State alumna and Ames resident, has been honored as the North Central Iowa Region recipient of the 2018 I.O.W.A. STEM Teacher Award, sponsored by Kemin Industries.

This award celebrates six teachers who have led the charge in encouraging Iowa’s youth to develop a passion for STEM fields. Each recipient receives $1,500 as well as an additional $1,500 for their classroom. Award recipients must demonstrate excellent STEM opportunities in their curriculum, encourage lifelong learning and inspire a passion for the STEM field beyond the classroom.

Green received her undergraduate degree in instrumental music from Iowa State. She later returned to receive her master’s degree in curriculum and instructional technology. 

After five years of teaching in different school districts, Green returned to Ames and has been teaching at Edwards Elementary School ever since. For 25 years now, she has taught within the Ames Community School District.

For a few years, Green taught as a general music teacher at Edwards before becoming the K-5 technology teacher and librarian.

“She is a really nice teacher and she has a lot of crazy ideas,” one fifth grade student at Edwards Elementary School said about Green.

Though Green received her undergraduate degree in instructional music, she has always had a curiosity and fascination when it comes to STEM.

“I’ve always been interested in [STEM]. I have my own little workshop out in my garage and I am always out there taking things apart and messing around,” Green said. “I just never really had the opportunity to teach it to the kids in this format [until now].”

About 10 years ago, Green was approached by one of her students, current Iowa State senior in industrial engineering Dagney Paskach, to form a junior Lego League at Edwards Elementary School. The First Lego League (FLL) started out with just girls in third grade and a few small teams. However, after opening up to all students ranging from second to fifth grade the following year, the club expanded to nine teams.

“After that year we decided we just wanted to focus on the robotics because that’s what the kids at this level really need, the robotics training,” Green said. “We just really teach and focus on how to program with the EV3 robots and complete some challenges.”

Green established the Robotics Club the year after the FLL was implemented at Edwards Elementary School. The Robotics Club participates in the FLL Challenge each year which consists of programming an autonomous robot to score points based on creativity and design, teamwork and innovation.

Green also hosts a Maker Camp each summer for students at Edwards Elementary and surrounding schools. At the camp, kids learn how to sew, use soldering irons and wire circuits. The camp takes place in the schools Makerspace.

A Makerspace is a collaborative workspace inside a school or library for making, learning and exploring ideas. Most Makerspaces include a 3-D printer, laser cutters, CNC machines, soldering irons and sewing machines. After Green discovered the concept of a Makerspace, she immediately started researching and asking around to get one at Edwards Elementary.

Green’s passion for her work has made and continues to make an impact on her current and former students, which is why Paskach, nominated Green for this award.  

“Mrs. Green was always so inspiring,” Paskach recalled, “[Students] would talk to her and she would make us feel like we could do anything.”

Though it has been nearly 10 years since Paskach was last taught by Green, she still helps coordinate the Maker Camp each year. Paskach said she hopes one day to work at the Science Center of Iowa to encourage children to get excited about the STEM field at an early age, just like Green. 

Green teaches all students at Edwards, kindergarten through fifth grade. She explained that kindergarten and first graders are already learning coding through a program called ScratchJr. 

“Every year, they are better and better,” Green described working with young kids. “Once they get it figured out, they are so excited and it’s amazing what they can do then.”