Cyclone Hockey continues to struggle against Indiana Tech

Members of The Cyclone Hockey team get set for the puck drop Dec. 3 at the Ames Ice Arena during the Iowa State vs Minot State match up. The Cyclones were defeated by Minot State 4-1.

Allyson Werner

The Iowa State men’s hockey team looked to break a four-game losing streak, but were not able to as it extended the losing streak to five in the first game of a home series against the Indiana Tech Warriors, a team that is on fire with a record of 14-0-1 after tonights game.

The Warriors sat in first place atop the NAIA division.

“We were inconsistent,” said coach Jason Fairman about the teams play. “I don’t know what our issues were.”

The Cyclones have been battling a depleted lineup the past few series due to various injuries, making the team have to work even harder to pull out wins.

“It causes fatigue, but the other issue is that its hard for me to control guys as far as playing time,” Fairman said. “I’ve got to play everybody.”

Both teams came out fresh and ready to play at the beginning of the first period. Senior goaltender Derek Moser was the starting net minder tonight after being pulled last weekend after letting in four goals against the Minot State Beavers.

Unlike the series against the Beavers, the Cyclones seemed to have a much easier time transitioning tonight from the neutral zone to the offensive zone, creating chances to get one in the net.

After gaining quick entry into the Cyclones defensive zone, Warriors forward Stavros Soilis was able to get the first goal of the game, putting one behind Moser who made the initial save, but lost the puck that ended up trickling slowly past the net minder to make the game 1-0 in favor of the Warriors.

The Cyclones ended up putting themselves in a hole after giving up two more goals to Indiana Tech, giving the Warriors a 3-0 lead at the end of the first.

“I think we have a problem where we end up feeling sorry for ourselves and these goals are coming in bunches.” Fairman said.

The Warrior goals came from Soilis, his second of the game and junior forward Ryan Attwood. Moser ended up stopping 13 of 16 Warrior shots that period.

Moser was pulled for the second game in a row with fellow senior goaltender Matt Goedeke replacing him. After killing off a slashing penalty, the Cyclones had a few good looks early in the second period.

The Warriors got their second chance at a power play after Cyclone junior defensemen Nick Sandy was sent to the box for hooking at 4:52, but were not able to capitalize after a good penalty kill with Goedeke making some much needed saves.

The Cyclones finally got on the board late in the period after junior forward Jon Severson sent a backhanded shot flying high left shoulder past the Warriors goaltender to make the score 3-1 with assists to Tony Ulgem and Dylan Goggin headed into the second intermission. Goedeke stopped all of the Warriors 13 shots.

The Cyclones started out the period on a 5-on-3 power play, and were able to add another goal to cut the lead to 3-2 after junior forward Aaron Azevedo was able to put one past the Warriors goaltender just seconds after the power play expired.

The Warriors were then able to extend their lead to 4-2 after forward Mike Tish, left alone, sent a hard shot flying past Goedeke. Any chance at a Cyclone comeback was crushed after the Warriors scored their final goal of the night, defeating the Cyclones by a score of 5-2, the Cyclones’ fifth loss in a row.

“We just have to try and play 60 minutes of hockey,” Fairman said. “I know its a cliche, but it’s true. We can’t take this team lightly and we want to end the semester on a high note. If we do that, there is a good chance of being successful. If not, it’s going to be the same result as the past three weekends.”