Student Government, administrators to co-host town hall on campus issues

The sun shines on the Memorial Union after a thunderstorm Wednesday afternoon on Nov. 11, 2015. 

Alex Connor

As a continuation of its town halls series this year, Student Government will host a town hall Thursday evening with senior administrators.

The town hall will cover issues regarding campus climate, student health, infrastructure and tuition and fees. Students are encouraged to send questions they may have in advance here.

The event will occur at 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Panelists include:

• Kate Gregory, senior vice president of university services
  • Martino Harmon, senior vice president for student affairs
  • Miles Lackey, chief financial officer and chief of staff
  • Reginald Stewart, vice president for diversity and inclusion
  • Jonathan Wickert, senior vice president and provost
  • Cody Smith, vice president of Student Government

Town halls have been at the forefront of Student Government President Cody West and Smith’s administration as a way to increase communication with their constituents as well as promote civic engagement. 

“It’s a great opportunity for students to come and to talk about things that affect them everyday. We’re normally available — we’re always available for student contact,” Smith said. “But this is a unique opportunity because you get to have students communicate directly with the people making the decisions everyday.”

As for turnout, West and Smith are not sure what to expect because of the unique precedent this town hall sets. 

“The past town halls we’ve held — especially the larger ones on campus — have always been in response to something,” West said.

Additionally, West feels that the town hall will be an opportunity for students to access administrators they may not typically interact with, as well as learn more about the university. 

“The coolest thing about [the town hall] is that it’s not just an opportunity to ask questions, but there is so much education that can be done,” West said. “Not only with what administration is doing but what Student Government is doing and how we operate.”